Nobara Project looks similar to Zorin but with many changes, ZorinOS could use some of them

https://nobaraproject.org/

I just read about this Nobara Project and at first glance, kinda looks like ZorinOS but obviously with less polished interface. Anyway, they do make a lot of modifications which I think ZorinOS could use to improve. Here's the list of the changes they make:

General usage improvements:

• nvidia gpu detection and driver auto-installation
  • nvidia driver repository pulled from rawhide/bleeding-edge so users get the latest Nvidia drivers as soon as they are available.
  • nautilus’s classic type-ahead functionality has been restored. This allows you to start typing to go to the file closest to the typed text within the folder instead of initiating a full system search.
  • nautilus’s button for toggling between breadcrumb navigation and a text navigation bar has been restored.
  • nautilus workaround added to fix not being able to drag+drop from file roller/ark to extract files as well as other file drag issues.
  • “Yum Extender” yumex-dnf provided as DE-agnostic frontend GUI for managing packages
  • SELinux is set to permissive mode. This way it is active and still logs but does not block anything.
  • rpmfusion repos enabled by default
  • Wine version provided by official WineHQ repository instead of Fedora — this allows for easier, more viable bug reporting due to some conflicts with how Fedora packages wine.
  • 64 and 32 bit WINE dependencies including winetricks and gstreamer installed for hassle-free out of the box Lutris + WINE gaming
  • Steam installed by default
  • Lutris installed by default
  • libreoffice installed by default
  • cups/printer drivers installed by default
  • kdenlive installed by default for video editing
  • obs-studio patched with browser plugin
  • obs-studio patched with vulkan and opengl game capture support
  • obs-studio patched with HEVC vaapi encoding support (NOTE: encoder requires mp4 container format)
  • obs-studio capable of both nvenc and H264 vaapi encoding.
  • blender built with ffmpeg support (allows H264 render output)
  • flatpak flathub repository enabled by default
  • protonup-qt installed by default

What do you think?

1 Like

Thank you NayamAmarshe. If nothing else this will help to inform the members of the forum about possible improvements to improve their gaming experience in Zorin. I understand why you recommend these patches. Some of them would possibly be useful to those with the same want for software that you have.

LibreOffice is already installed by default as well as many other applications in the pro version.

Some of these are hardware specific (surface) and while beneficial to those individuals with that hardware, would be unnecessary bloat for many who don't have that hardware.

These are the things that the devs weigh in regard to what to include for kernel patches and how they update their OS. These would make for great improvements should they target gaming, but Zorin OS targets those coming from windows. This means that there isn't one specific type of user they are attempting to share Linux with, but a multitude ranging from professionals in an office setting, to kids in school, to grandparents mostly web surfing and using social media by the web and everything imbetween. While this is an ideal configuration for you, it may be unneeded and/or unwanted by a large group of Zorin users. This would take resources that those that don't utilize the features could use elsewhere (from hard drive space to processor utilization).

Your recommendation is sound, for a specific group of Zorin users. Consider, though, out of the thousands of users of this OS, how many does it really impact. How many more want a clean OS for professional use, development, graphic design, engineering, learning or just want it to work for social media?

There has been suggestions that a game specific version be created, where these patches would make the most sense, but there has been no word on whether the possibility will be brought to production or not.

The developers take pride in being able to state that they have a stable OS for most technical journeys. This is why you'll not see nightly or developer patches included with the OS. While developers attempt to make changes without effecting other parts of the system, you don't always know how patches will interact with other features. This is why Zorin is tested, thoroughly, prior to any updates or changes. In order to maintain that stability not all distros can claim.

It is a balancing act for both hardware resources and expected general use of the OS. I hope this helps you to understand and appreciate the developers decisions as well as provides another perspective in considering what would be possible to maintain the users' current expectations of the OS.

2 Likes

Many of those patches and bugfixes look very useful.
I was considering downloading the OS and trying it out - simply by installing a better desktop like XFCE or Cinnamon on it.
Sadly, it uses GTK4, which would break all other desktops aside from Dominating Gnome... So I will not be using it.
What I will do, though, is look into some of those patches and fixes to see if I can apply them on my build of Zorin OS.

2 Likes