NVIDIA Driver problem

You can drop to terminal interface only. Remove and install Nvidia drivers from TTY:
ctrl+alt+F3 to enter TTY and ctrl+alt+F7 to Exit TTY.

Write that exit keyboard shortcut down.:neutral_face:
I guarantee you will get into tty, then forgot how to exit, otherwise.

A couple of problems. I thought I would give it a test run, so ctrl+alt+F3 took me to TTY, but I was asked for a login, which was OK, then it asked for a password, which wasn't OK. I entered the only password I've used but it didn't accept it. When I tried to exit with ctrl+alt+F7, my screen went blank. I had to restart using the pen drive containing the OS.

Are you posting here and operating from LiveUSB "try Zorin?"

No, but if I have the USB stick inserted when I restart my screen returns. I don't know why. I am using a fully installed Zorin 16 Pro now with the same resolution problem.

You mean the installed Zorin boots up and works properly- as long as the USB is just plugged in?

1 Like

In terminal type...

lspci

Please post the results here. I want to see exactly what your GPU is. We might have a case of, modern Nvidia driver not work, older driver requires situation.

StarTreker

yoda
Your Tech Support Guru

Since my last reply, I've powered the system down and rebooted without the USB drive. I still have the same problem. Nothing is different. I have no USB drive inserted.

He already gave us:
My 'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti' sound card is stuck on its lowest resolution.

I have exactly the same card in my submachine (which is running Linux Mint though) with absolutely no issue.

I am sorry... I am having a great deal of difficulty understanding this.
You are saying that having the USB plugged in makes no difference?

Here it is:
lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family ME Interface #1
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev d0)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev d0)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d0)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev d0)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z97 Chipset LPC Controller
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 High Definition Audio Controller [GeForce 940MX] (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 11)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 04)
06:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR93xx Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01

OK, thats a much older GPU indeed. You might try the 380 driver.

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-380

I installed Zorin 16 Pro using the USB and I don't have it plugged in. However, I discovered that, when the screen goes blank to the point I can't recover it, booting with the USB in restores my screen. It doesn't boot from it, though. If you don't understand, imagine what it's like for me... I'm so grateful for this help...

But I am using 470 driver for this card in Mint.
It is old but not that super old.

I know, this whole situation is confusing as heck to all of us, were grasping at string at this point. I realize FrenchPress is having no issues, but I am sure she has other hardware that is different, different mobo, different BIOS for example.

Praveen may be running the same kernel as all of us, cause its Zorin OS. However, he is running different hardware, different mobo, different BIOS. And for all we know, that alone could be the issue.

But the last thing I want to do is break this guys machine, so, I won't be recommending BIOS updates at this time, until all other options have been fully exhausted.

I cannot think of anything that could cause this result.

If you are using Gigabyte m/b with dual BIOS chips, BIOS update is risk free (which I have).

Something tells me it will be faster OP reinstall the whole system rather than trying to fix it.

1 Like

Ohhhhh gooooody! I had no idea!

Truth is, I haven't been a big fan of Gigabyte these days, but thats a different topic discussion.

Point is, if a BIOS update is indeed risk free for him, then at this point in time, I HIGHLY recommend it!

There is no 380 driver, but there is a 390, so I tried it... no different!

I would not be surprised. I think it is faster reinstall than fix it. Do you have any data on it you need to keep?