Nvidia Drivers kept back in Software Update

I was updating my system today and saw that there was a substantial amount of nvidia drivers to upgrade, so I ran the upgrade command was was left with this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  libnvidia-cfg1-470 libnvidia-compute-470 libnvidia-compute-470:i386 libnvidia-decode-470 libnvidia-decode-470:i386
  libnvidia-encode-470 libnvidia-encode-470:i386 libnvidia-extra-470 libnvidia-fbc1-470 libnvidia-fbc1-470:i386
  libnvidia-gl-470 libnvidia-gl-470:i386 libnvidia-ifr1-470 libnvidia-ifr1-470:i386
  linux-modules-nvidia-470-generic-hwe-20.04 nvidia-compute-utils-470 nvidia-dkms-470 nvidia-driver-470
  nvidia-kernel-common-470 nvidia-kernel-source-470 nvidia-utils-470 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-470
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 22 not upgraded

Is there something I need to set up with these to get them to upgrade? Is it just a matter of waiting for another dependency for the rest to be able to update? Thank you :smiley:

Most likely, yes.
You can check in terminal with:

apt show (package)=(old version) (package)=(new version)

Replacing (package) and (version) with the package name and the version, no parentheses.

1 Like

Turns out my system only partially updated the last time I did an update. Opening up the Software Updater utility told me that and gave me the option to let it do the updating (which I trust a little more than my terminal skills at this point in my Linux understanding) for me. After letting it do it's thing and restarting my system, all seems good again

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.