Official way and best way to update (not an help request)

Hello everyone,

I am an old Linux user (like ten year) and I am use to the "sudo apt-get upgrade", with Zorin you can upgrade with the "Software" app, I understand this is the only simple way to upgrade flatpak and snap super package. I was thinking I also upgrade the "deb" package but when I do a "apt update + upgrade" after that I have still some deb to upgrade, some system package mainly.

So my questions :

• What an update via the "software" app really do ? Upgrade deb ? Upgrade flatpak and snap ?
  • What is the official way to update the system ?
  • Is there a risk to not have the security update if you only use the app to update the system ?
  • What is the official way to update if I was a new Linux user ? A developer answer could be great.

PS : This is what the apt program purpose after doing like 6 month doing upgrade via the app and the apt program in term of packet I can remove via "sudo apt autoremove"

• linux-headers-5.11.0-37-generic linux-hwe-5.11-headers-5.11.0-37
  • linux-image-5.11.0-37-generic linux-modules-5.11.0-37-generic
  • linux-modules-extra-5.11.0-37-generic
  • linux-objects-nvidia-470-5.11.0-37-generic
  • linux-signatures-nvidia-5.11.0-37-generic

Regards
Justin

I am not a Zorin OS Developer.

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

This includes snaps or flatpaks.
Some packages that are installed as .deb packages or as applets will not upgrade through the above. Those must be manually upgraded by reinstalling the latest .deb.
The user is responsible to know what they have installed and upgrade accordingly.

In the last few days on the forum; one thing made very apparent in troubleshooting as of late is the Use of GUI inhibits the users from knowing their packages.
A user removed a package using Software store and it also removed the dependency of the Zorin Desktop along with it. It gave him no warning; The terminal would have printed the warning and asked a confirmation before proceeding.
A user installed a package, felt it did not suit his needs and removed it using Software store. He has no idea what packages were installed, what was removed and what information to relay. We have no idea, since he has no idea. We do not know what went wrong with his system or how to help him - clues to follow are meager at best.
In using the terminal, all affected packages are printed on the screen. All removals are printed on the screen. All installations are printed on the screen.

GUI is fine. When it works.
Terminal is fine. When it works.
When GUI doesn't work; it is a major problem.
When terminal doesn't work - it tells you what went wrong and often - how to fix it.

There is no official way to update the system; but there are effective ways to safely update and monitor. With Linux; the power to do so is restored to the user. Use The Power.

No, either method of upgrading and updating provide the same security. However, you may get updates slower if you have automatic updates disabled or run updates infrequently.

2 Likes

But in Synaptic, there is a dependency warning, no?
I think that is the main reason my husband is always using Synaptic.

2 Likes

This is true. Synaptic is safer than other GUI methods. It is more tedious to take corrective actions, though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answers.

To be sure to perfectly understand, apt program also update the program I (or Zorin) install via a flatpak or a snap ? (because I had find nothing about that on internet, they say to do a "flatpak update" and a "sudo snap refresh" for non ".deb" in a repo.

Ok so GUI can still not be trust, sad :cry:

Yes Synaptic is cool, strange to not have it by default in Zorin Pro.

2 Likes

Gnome-Software (Or Software store) does have some known issues.
It's a good starting point for users perhaps, but we hope to ween them off of it and help them graduate to Synaptic or Terminal for the Best experience.

It does not. Only Snap can upgrade snap packages and only Flatpak can upgrade flatpak packages. In Zorin OS, the Update Notifier will upgrade those packages as they come in, however. But if you want to take control back into your hands:

sudo sh -c "apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y && snap refresh && flatpak upgrade -y"

2 Likes

Thanks, it's what I think about upgrade.

I suppose the -y is for always yes, (i can just suppose because I can not find it in the man flatpak or the flatpak -h) ?

The -y instructs apt to include all necessary packages.
IF there was an "always yes" command, I would never use it...

1 Like

Same for me

/kick #my_life "-y" "Didn't ask the permission"

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.