Old members keeping up

I use Jitsi Meet for Family Chat's all the time. I prefer it over a bunch of other things, like Signal.

How's Retirement treating you Swarf? Hope very well.
It is good to see on back on here. Read several post from you lately.
You're like that trusted mentor that no one ever wants to see go.
Our Yoda. Luckily we have several Jedi on here who go above and beyond
in helping us all out.

3 Likes

You are supporting software that was community driven. It is now owned by 8x8 who only charge corporates. Our local Linux User Group coordinator pays £20 per month to host with Digital Ocean as they know what they are doing and he runs server side on a 4Gb Lenovo Notebook. The app for android and the web browser method are the best thing out there and will always be free for personal use.

1 Like

If i am not wrong debian got split up in the past because some devs didn't want to use systemd. If i am not wrong those people created devuan ??? I wonder how that os runs on my machine :innocent:

I am also interested to try solus

I hate Solus with a passion - as soon as I mentioned this forum they thought I was a troll - to save reinventing the wheel I had proffered solutions I had posted on the old Zorin forum - I left and took all the Solus Wallpapers down that I created from my opendesktop.org account (now Pling) which I no longer use. I use Deviant Art instead. You can get a live version of Devuan (xfce) to try. They don't do alive version of KDE. I just went straight for the install. One of the former members of Zorin wanted to know if it would run on their machine - when I posted on the Devuan forums was advised that there were some issues with a particular Intel i5 processor - other than that should be O.K. You need to be aware that the installer is of the old school, a bit like a Dos Interface - if ever you have tried something like Slackware in the past you will no what I mean. I plumped for KDE over xfce, because I had gotten accustomed to KDE in FerenOS whilst working from home before moving to the more secure OS of Devuan 3.0.0 codenamed 'beowulf'.
Live version link here:
Download:
Get Devuan | Devuan GNU+Linux Free Operating System
Guide:
Devuan GNU+Linux Free Operating System

4 Likes

This is why the Support Forums should not abuse their members.
Support Forums may not be the developers; but they can certainly affect the developers.

2 Likes

Some forums are quite intolerant for discussion or even a mere mention of other distro or OS.

I think Zorin Forum is an exceptional in that regard.
You can see there is this perpetual debate over POP and Zorin - hello @Michel :wink: and I myself started a several thread regarding Windows.

2 Likes

True, but one of the former moderators on the old forum, sadly no longer with us, told about the tale of the Solus developer who plaguerised a wallpaper and when said moderator confronted him about it he admitted he had amended the wallpaper but gave no indication as to the original work of art which goes against the grain of Free Software, IP content - always acknowledge the source!

1 Like

Still learning here, what does IP mean ?

I know its a diffrent meaning of the ip adress

Intellectual Property - under GPL (General Public Licence) you can modify anything so long as you acknowledge the originator of the code/graphic that you have modified - also known as Copy Left cf. copyright - the latter preventing you to do anything to the original code/graphic.
So put another way, like when Mr Richard Millhouse Nixon fell foul of Watergate the T-shirts came out with his face on it stating "Would you buy a second hand car from this man?" The same might also apply to the original Solus Dev!

3 Likes

Thanks for the info

Solus has a nice DE i want to test called budgie.

1 Like

There is also a Ubuntu Budgie.
I tested it a few years ago.
But I preferred XFCE.

2 Likes

Yeah i just googled for it. Is it possible to add it with commands like kde or cinnamon or xfce ?

2 Likes

Oops, you got me.
I have no idea. I just used Ubuntu Budgie installer.
Of course you can test it yourself and report back here :male_detective:

2 Likes

On Zorin OS, the most effective way to install the Budgie Desktop Environment would be:

sudo apt install ubuntu-budgie-desktop

3 Likes

I did not know that it can be installed this way!

1 Like

Will try it out if i think about it tommorow :sunglasses:

Thanks

It's also in Synaptic Package Manager:

4 Likes

Where you find some of your icons... You are a connoisseur of icons.

2 Likes

Just start typing a keyword in the icon search box.
If there is anything that matches, you will see it :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

:family_man_woman_boy: i use the smartphone icons :woozy_face:

1 Like