OneSearch Privacy Minded Search Engine

I'll let you google your own search to find information on OneSearch...

But Thoughts, Opinions, Observations and doubts... What does everyone think of OneSearch search engine?

That was my first time hearing about it. I just looked it up and tried to open it and I got hit with the beautiful message of Service not available in your area.
I did some very small digging and quickly found out that it is owned by Verizon. LOL
I'd personally avoid it like the plague. Also the fact that its not available in EU countries just shows that they have some non GDPR complying data processing systems. It seems to be very sketchy. If you truly want a non shady search engine, look up SearX. You can use public instances hosted by others or host your own. I personally use searx.info because the host is Swiss and Switzerland have amazing if not the best digital privacy laws.

1 Like

Yes, I had noticed - Owned by Verizon - which owns Yahoo and is part of OATH.

1 Like

I haven't used one search yet. I try to use google search to a minimum (more using other search engines).

I am currently using Qwant and am quite happy with the results. But I don't know how true they are to their policies (apparently not collecting any data).

I guess I don't like it. bc it doesn't like me

3 Likes

I use startpage.com They call it the most secure search worldwide.

Lol they say it but we never know what the truth really is. Funnily enough, Startpage is owned by System1 an advertising company :smiley:
Personally, I don't trust them.

1 Like

I noticed that OneSearch states that it's "powered by Bing." Does this mean that you only get Bing search results?

If so, this is why I like a search service like Disroot SearX, as it utilizes different search engines to get you your results, and it states which search engine provided which result.

1 Like

Several different members have recommended Disroot Searx at this point, so I finally decided to check it out. I note that beneath the search box is an "Advanced Options" menu which includes a Time Frame within which to limit the search.

I have often noted how in searching up relevant Linux issues or installation guides, outdated information is presented that can put a user in a bind. While not all older guides have Gone Bad, they do so often enough that a feature like that in search function could really cut down in installation issues if it was widely used.

1 Like

This certainly can be a time saver, when you're looking for information that falls within a particular time frame.

1 Like

I have been using Brave's search which isn't just a proxy sitting on top of Google, Bing, etc ala DDG. Highly recommend checking it out.

search.brave.com

Launch announcement that has some good info:

3 Likes

I like Brave Search but, sometimes I get error 403, IDK why