Opening an attachment in Evolution mail app ask for "Open with" always

Hello fellow Zorin users,

I've encountered an issue that I'm hoping someone might have a solution for.

Every time I try to open an attachment in Evolution, it always prompts me with the Open with dialogue box, even for file types it should recognize by default (like .pdf, .docx, etc.). Instead of opening the attachment with the default application, I have to manually select the appropriate application every time. While this isn't a major issue, it's a little tedious and interrupts the workflow.

Downloading the attachment and opening in Files does not bring up the Open with dialogue box.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, is there a solution or workaround that you're aware of? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Best regards,
M

If Evolution is well-equipped it should have a setting to choose the default software to use for opening a certain file format, otherwise try opening a file format manually selecting its default software from its settings and then open the attachment with the same format on Evolution to see if it still asks which software to use. I stopped using Evolution because I didn't need all the software all together, just mails, but it was a punch on my eyes for me with all the buttons and containers filling the screen, there are simpler e-mail software interfaces than that.

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I cannot find such setting for attachment opening in Evolution Settings.

Also, the dialogue box does not offer remember choice or set as default options:

Thank you for your suggestion.

Yes, opening all the downloaded files in Files (Nautilus) has a default application and no opening pop-up appears.

I enjoy the email-contacts-calendar suite. I'll do some recherche and try out other applications. Can you suggest your choice for the mail app, please?

Well, I installed Thunderbird / Supernova and the issue persist:

• when opening an attachment (example. DOCX)
  • a Thunderbird-styled pop-up for opening appears
  • there are two choice: Open by System handler or Save. This choice can be made default. I did not make it default yet. But opening the attachment using the System handler offers the same unfortunate scheme as in Evolution: a list of suitable application appears.

I downloaded the file to the OS and checked that Files/Nautilus opens the file without prompting for the application. It uses the default application set and checked in the properties to the file.

The elderly bug report on the issue:

Possible workaround:

(Only available for Gnome Desktop) This module addon can set Thunderbird to rely on the Gnome Default Open option.

Personally I like Mailspring because like Gmail it allows removing much of the stuff that fills the GUI but currently I wouldn't suggest it because it's unable to synchronize with my account immediately and automatically, it needs a manual reauthentication for every single usage to work. Of couse it's a problem, the mail app is supposed to download and upload mails automatically by default unless the user change it manually, in my case for some reason it's simply failing. This happens for the flat, I don't know for the snap. I hate these complications, they just slow down my day, instead of playing or using my software normally I have to fix or sidestep their problems.

1 Like

The extension is not offered for TB v115.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll stay with Evolution or Thunderbird now. None of these solve the Open with issue.

My last idea would be editing its configuration file, so mail.conf on ~/.config/evolution, then find [mime-types] and edit the following entries. For example they should look like these once customized:

text/plain = gedit
text/html = firefox
image/jpeg = eog
image/png = eog

If you find them you can change the software name with your ones. Since I'm not sure about their technical name to insert on the file you can open them and view their own name on System Monitor or searching them online. Or ask them here :grin:. Before editing the file please create a copy of it somewhere else and let Evolution closed, once you finish editing the file save its changes and see if now Evolution opens attachments with the software you chose, if not restore the previous file. Personally I don't like changing files this way but if no way with a GUI exists it's time to use the force.

I see, apologies. I did not realize that.

I installed Claws mail application and the issue was very similar. So, Evolution, Thunderbird and Claws shows the same symptoms. Fortunately, Claws first suggests a command to run when opening an attachment

xdg-open '%s'

following the command opens the Open with... dialogue box. So, I could proceed with debugging.

Funny enough, running the same command to the saved file

xdg-open filename.doc

opens the OpenOffice application with the file right away.

The Claws mail says that the attachment is filename.doc (application/msword, 56.10KiB). So, I could find out that

xdg-mime query default application/msword

ouputs org.onlyoffice.desktopeditors.desktop, but the org.onlyoffice.desktopeditors.desktop file does not exists on my filesystem.
Creating one at ~/.local/share/applications/org.onlyoffice.desktopeditors.desktop with

[Desktop Entry]
Name=ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors
Comment=Edit Documents, Spreadsheets, and Presentations
Exec=/usr/bin/desktopeditors %U
Icon=onlyoffice
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Office;WordProcessor;Spreadsheet;Presentation;Viewer;TextEditor;
MimeType=application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document;application/msword;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet;application/vnd.ms-excel;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation;application/vnd.ms-powerpoint;text/plain;

helped and the attachment is now open directly with no Open with... dialogue box. But it seems that any other .desktop files are missing. I do not want to regenerate them all manually. Is there a way to generate all or any missing .desktop files automatically?

Hi there! I've run into the same frustrating issue with Evolution on Zorin OS where it prompts me to select an app to open attachments with each time, even for common file types it should know.

A workaround I found that helps is going to Settings > Applications and then finding Evolution in the list. Click on it, go to the "File Associations" tab, and make sure the file types you normally deal with (PDFs, DOCXs, JPEGs, etc.) are checked. This makes Evolution remember them as default programs.

It's an extra step but avoids having to pick the program every single time you open an attachment. Hopefully it's something the Zorin team can tweak in a future update so Evolution sets reliable defaults out of the box.

Let me know if that helps or if you find any other solutions! Always happy to help a fellow Zorin user. We've got a great community so I'm sure someone has some insights to 2024 calendar . Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions!

1 Like

Thank you for the effort! I do not see any Associations tab under the Evolution settings:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.