OpenRGB does not work, featuring piix4

The only message that I know of that Zorin would give about Secure Boot would be to set up MOK in order to allow Zorin OS to work with Secure Boot.
It would only give this message if Secure Boot was already enabled in BIOS, causing Zorin OS to need to set up MOK.

OpenRGB, right?

I use Thopiekar provided:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thopiekar/openrgb

If from software, it may be a different version.
Can you test by removing OpenRGB with Software, then add the repository above.
Run

sudo apt update && sudo apt install openrgb

My apologies, yes OpenRGB. Multitasking sometimes sucks lol.'

"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thopiekar/openrgb" worked so I moved onto "sudo apt update && sudo apt install openrgb" and it started to work but it said I set a password for secure boot

I stopped there, what should I do?

Piix4 error 5

This is the same screen I saw when I did the 1Gb terminal upgrade.

Yes, it definitely looks like Secure Boot is enabled in your BIOS Settings. Secure Boot is a Windows OS function that has a "safe-list" of what is allowed to initialize at boot on Windows.
Microsoft (oh so kindly) signed off on a large number of Linux packages. But did not sign off on all of them... resulting in using Secure Boot on Linux as generally ok but sometimes iffy.
Either way - you only really can use it if dual booting with Windows (even then, I kept it off because you do not need it on Windows, either).
Using your computers Manufacturer instructions, you can enter your BIOS settings and disable secure boot.
Once disabled, you can disable the MOK utility for Linux. Log in to Zorin Desktop and run the following in terminal:

sudo mokutil --disable-validation

That should resolve that particular issue.

After running "sudo mokutil --disable-validation" terminal is prompting me for a password.

???

Enter your Root Password

root password? I do not recall setting up a root password. My laptop is 2 months old.

I have the password for secure boot, encryption, and my user account.

This one. That is your Root Password.

My user account password is 7 characters so it wont take it. Should temporarily change it?

If that is not the password it needs, try the Secure Boot one.

ok. I prompted me to enter it again then it listed a new line.

Let me try "sudo apt update && sudo apt install openrgb" again.

It is working now but I see the same error.

Any ideas as to why the error shows when it working?

I can control the RGB lighting on my keyboard and mouse.

@Aravisian

Since I cannot edit my first post, can you add

"Read the entire thread, I had many problems but OpenRGB is working now"

Thank you so much for all of your help. I hope my thread can help others.

1 Like

Done.

Try:

sudo modprobe -r i2c-dev

sudo modprobe i2c-dev

again. See if that gets it to register the module.

I also do not ever get this warning message. But I also use an independently lighted keyboard and mouse and use OpenRGB only for the computer case fan lights.

1 Like

I tried those two sudo codes, first one said FATAL, already installed (builtin) and the second one list a new line.

That was just moot as I already disabled the warning as everything appears to be working correctly. I have never used OpenRGB before so I have to learn lol.

1 Like

My guess is...
I can really only find information on i2c-dev from the Ubuntu 12 - 14 date range. I suspect the package was deprecated and included in other packages.
Zorin OS Is based on Ubutnu 20.04...

The OpenRGB developer continues to include it as a dependent module in the software code. I think we should file a bug report with the OpenRGB maintainer to see if they can address that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.