Original Zorin theme borked by me. How to restore it?

As you can see from the below, something isn't right with my theme.
I did install Deepin DE and Plasma to try. Both were glitchy and didn't theme right. So I went back to the OG Zorin theme and I get the below and in other areas around the system.

So, how can I restore this back to actually looking good again?
And a follow up, is there a way of doing a command and reinstalls EVERYTHING (not messing with documents and settings)? Just curious.

For Zorin Core:

sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

Have you gone to Gnome Tweaks or Zorin Appearance and set the default theme there?

I had a look in Gnome Tweaks and Appearance and both were set to Zorin Grey Dark.
Odd, when I run the command you gave, it didn't seem to do anything major.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 37 not to upgrade.
Need to get 8,156 B of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 Index of /zorinos/stable/ubuntu focal/main amd64 zorin-os-desktop amd64 1.5.12 [8,156 B]
Fetched 8,156 B in 0s (290 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 466596 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../zorin-os-desktop_1.5.12_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking zorin-os-desktop (1.5.12) over (1.5.12) ...
Setting up zorin-os-desktop (1.5.12) ...

Then it just ends.

It installed.
Hmmm... Launch Synaptic (Install if you need: sudo apt install synaptic)
Then search for any Plasma Packages. Mark any Plasma Desktop packages for Complete Removal. Repeat for Deepin.
Then click apply.
Reboot and test.

1 Like

This is a common issue that occurs after you install plasma desktop.
Open gnome-tweaks and try switching themes and back again. If that does not work then you will need to reset the gnome-tweaks settings to default which works 100% (most) of the time. However, you will need to reconfigure the tweaks app again, if you follow the latter method.

1 Like

Thank you. Just tried that now. Resetting didn't fix my theme issues unfortunately.

I've also used Synaptic to remove all Plasma and Deepin items.

1 Like

It may be the leftover Oxygen theme and integration. Can you search in Synaptic for Oxygen packages?
Or

sudo apt remove gtk2-engines-oxygen gtk3-engines-oxygen oxygen-cursor-theme oxygen-icon-theme plasma-theme-oxygen

You code shows me this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gtk3-engines-oxygen

I found an icon pack for Oxygen in Synaptic, which I removed. I reset tweaks again and logged out, and in. Still the same as the image above.

How about Breeze?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.