Zorin 16 Core with xfce

In my case , ram usage on Zorin Gnome is almost the same as with xfce.

What about cinnamon , didn't tried that on Zorin , maybe it is lighter ?

Hi, what repository do I need to be able to install zorin-os-desktop-lite on xfce? Thank you!

In my experience, Cinnamon has been lighter than Gnome but heavier than XFCE.
Zorin with Gnome tends to run faster and lighter then Ubuntu with Gnome.

The repository is already included in Zorin OS. If you are running Zorin OS 16, then Lite has not yet been released and the package is not yet available.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorin-os/packages

2 Likes

I really want to switch to xfce, but don't want to lose beautiful gnome setup and those layouts..

Why layouts doesn't work in xfce ? :wink:

XFCE uses a Window Manager. Gnome dropped support for full window managers in favor of csd, which dumps support and development for window managers onto... everyone else.
But you can set up any layout you want on XFCE. The Zorin Layouts you see can be chosen from an app. On XFCE, you would need to just position them manually.

Yes, I know , on linux you can do whatever you want, but more work. hehe
With layouts it is just one click.

Before Zorin I even used WM ( bspwm) and that was fun. Maybe best way how to learn linux. But it is pain in the backside xD

If you are willing, I can help you do all the painful work :smiley: in exploring the settings, configurations and options in your XFCE system.

1 Like

Great, thank you. When I switch to XFCE I will ask for your support.

Atm I am satisfied with Gnome. No issues at all and everything is smooth.

But maybe, I can start to play with bspwm :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Aravisian Hi again, just a double-check with you: Once I install the xfce4 desktop, I will still be able to switch back and forth between Gnome and xfce4, correct?

Yep. Log out and select which desktop you wish to log into and log in.

2 Likes

Thanks!!!

1 Like

I must not have understood your command line for adding the repository:

Can you tell me what I did wrong? I did click on the link in your post above "Index of /xubuntu-dev/staging/ubuntu" but it would not open for me.

@Aravisian I think I see the error of my ways. Maybe you can ignore my request and help some others.

1 Like

Hello @Aravisian,

It's me, the newbie. I did everything above on OS 16. But couldn't get 4.16 installed. Just kept saying 4.14 is installed. Plugin also not available no matter how many times I redid all the steps.

I rebooted and noticed Zorin Desktop, XFCE Session, Zorin on Wayland are available now. What are the difference between the two Zorin ones?

Also how do I get rid of all the changes and revert back to stock OS16 desktop now? I personally am not a fan of the XFCE look.:joy:

Thanks!

I am not sure without re-tracing all your steps. I know the technique works as I have xfce 4.16 and Zorinmenu Lite on my machine.

Zorin Desktop is the Gnome desktop on X-window manager. Zorin Wayland is Gnome on the Wayland manager.
You can do a netsearch on Wyaland to find out what all the fuss is about and how it is better than X-window manager - and why it is hopelessly broken.

sudo apt remove --purge xfce4 lightdm

Hi,

Don't blame me but it looks like I'm not a big Gnome fan.
It's the first time that I try it and, well, I'm not a big fan.

1°\ I'm then just looking for some guidance to install XFCE over Zorin Core 16.
If possible, I would very much like to keep as much as possible all the beautiful design of Zorin OS.

For now I have installed XFCE and choose Lightdm, but that's it.
I found a few things but not all.

For now my screen looks like that :

I guess I don't have the XFCE Zorin Menu installed, and probably few other things too.

2°\ Simple question : Wouldn't be more simple for me to just install Zorin lite ?
What's less exactly with Zorin light ?

Thank you :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

beep beep
Forum Maid-bot :robot: transferred your posting to the pre-existing thread with a similar subject.
beep beep....

1 Like

For example, the command apt search xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin does not give me any answer.
I cannot locate this package.

I have added the xubuntu-dev repository :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/staging
And ran apt update && apt upgrade

Thanks for your kind help !

1 Like

I think @Aravisian is our expert volunteer for this subject.
I hope he will see your posting and give you an advice.

1 Like

I apologize: That package has not been added to the repos for Focal, yet; those using Zorin OS 16 currently cannot access it through the terminal. Zorin OS 16 Lite is still in development.
You can use the .deb installers:
64Bit:
https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/stable/+files/xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin_1.1.2_amd64.deb

32bit (For Zorin OS 15 and prior):
https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/stable/+files/xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin_1.1.2_i386.deb

2 Likes