Partition Creation

Hello
I would like to know how to create partitions to install apps away from the system partition.
As I changed from windows I find it hard to create partitions, can someone help like images of how to do it.

1 Like

That would be difficult, unless you want to compile all the apps yourself and editing their config files. The structure of Linux is way different what you're used in Windows.

1 Like

Hmm, Could you provide me with more info along with how to create a partition?
And thanks.

Usually Apps files are placed in different places in your / root directory if you're installing .deb packages either manually or by the software center. If you install synaptic and looking for an installed app and check where files are installed, you'll see the complexity of it. Flat and snap packages is whole other story which I won't comment on, as I find them as an abomination to the eco system.

To create a partition you need to install gparted. And select the driver you want to create a partition on. It may require that you unmount it first.

2 Likes

The root structure:

4 Likes

@337harvey 's guide on partitioning to install may also contain helpful information:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for that post. It is a huge help in understanding the structure of the Linux file system. I have not seen that information before.

4 Likes

Thank you sir I saved this in my Zorin Info file I made .... big help in understanding root structure .... :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.