Pc temperature confusion

in previous thread i have tried sensors command of (lm sersors app), and that was the result:
and that is pc info:

I want to understand what each line in that result mean,I want to know what each fan point to, and what each temp point to, and why the temp1 is considered as the temp of pc? and which one sometimes cause the high noise?

You have a pretty funny reading on temp4, there...

You can check the hwmon tree to try to figure out which points directly to which hardware.
Sadly, it is not always straight forward.
In your case, Temp1 refers to the First Core of your processor, which is why it is considered the probably average CPU temperature.

1 Like

i think in that if there r another apps can show that without mistakes

i thought it is the temp of gpu, which one represent temp of gpu?

Oh I don't know... :stuck_out_tongue:
Are you using integrated or dedicated GPU?
Intel or Nvidia or AMD?

eid@eid-HP-Compaq-6005-Pro-SFF-PC:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4200
** i have gpu Amd RS880(368.0 mib) built in

When you run

sensors

in terminal, are you not seeing something like:

amdgpu-pci-0c00
Adapter: PCI adapter
vddgfx: +0.95 V
fan1: 1662 RPM (min = 400 RPM, max = 3300 RPM)
temp1: +50.0°C (crit = +91.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
power1: 18.00 W (cap = 180.00 W)

no that is the result i get it now, but it's categorized to pci adapter and isa adapter, i think isa adapter refer to 4 core of cpu(temp1,2,3,4), and pci refer to gpu, i don't know k10temp-pci-00c3 refer to, may be the app can't recognize good to old pc

eid@eid-HP-Compaq-6005-Pro-SFF-PC:~$ sensors
smsc47b397-isa-0880
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1:        1934 RPM
fan2:           0 RPM
fan3:           0 RPM
fan4:        1725 RPM
temp1:        +40.0°C  
temp2:        +73.0°C  
temp3:        +35.0°C  
temp4:       -128.0°C  

k10temp-pci-00c3
temp1:        +39.5°C  (high = +70.0°C)

Oh this is fun. How am I doing overall? I have brave running, thunderbird, flock, telegram, mumble and Mega going strong.

sjshelton@SJSPSLLT1:~$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0: +49.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0: +44.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +46.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2: +43.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3: +43.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
fan1: 2457 RPM
fan2: 1910 RPM
CPU: +49.0°C
GPU: +54.0°C
temp3: +0.0°C
temp4: +0.0°C
temp5: +0.0°C
temp6: +0.0°C
temp7: +0.0°C
temp8: +0.0°C

nouveau-pci-0100
GPU core: 881.00 mV (min = +0.60 V, max = +1.20 V)
temp1: +54.0°C (high = +95.0°C, hyst = +3.0°C)
(crit = +105.0°C, hyst = +5.0°C)
(emerg = +135.0°C, hyst = +5.0°C)
power1: 29.19 W (crit = 100.00 mW)

BAT0-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0: 15.38 V

iwlwifi_1-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +44.0°C

pch_skylake-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +56.0°C

nvme-pci-7000
Composite: +35.9°C

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1: +49.0°C (crit = +128.0°C)

Don't want to take you offtopic, just figured I would ask how it looks..

2 Likes

I agree, but must point out that PCI can be generic, referring to other Plug In hardware on the board than just a GPU.

Like Cool Runnings... I admit nothing is more unsettling than seeing a users temps over 65 degrees.

i have searched about my gpu, and i found it is difficult to get temp of that type of gpu, they r talking about if it's official or opensource driver, and i don't know which driver i have , that is the websites of psensors and lm-sensors,
http://wpitchoune.net/psensor/
also i have serached for any app or commandline to get the temp of my gpu type, i have found a lot of commands and apps but also can't get it

Gpu sponsored by?

[AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4200

Have you tried installing the amd radeon software?
Basically for monitoring amd gpu/cpu.

no, if u have link for it , please share it

Here :smiley:

1 Like

i don't know if is that just software for getting info about gpu, or it is installing the official driver,i will install it after checking, i don't know if i'm using official or opensource one as default

Actually it is for installing drivers but the software comes along with the drivers. Radeon Software provides the all the gpu info.

i'm afraid, i haven't had problem with the default gpu in zorin, what is the default one with zorin the official one or opensource, and which one is better

I have found that, they talked about:
a 4200 is an onboard card and is on the boards chipset. so the chipset temperatures will show the cards temperature. Only some boards allow overclocking of this GPU.
On many boards hwmon calls a motherboard temperature chipset. Try to run a game and when done, go see how far the motherboard temperature rose(it will save a max temp for you). should give you an idea.

No program list's my GPU temp ( HD radeon 4200 ) | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

I have searched about How to find the temperature for the on-board graphics card :
I found they talked about guessing that :because the IGPU is actually on the CPU, its temps are part of the CPU temps. All the motherboard does is pass the signals to the connectors.
I also think that, if I applied that on the result I get in sensors command:
there is temp2=73(cpu +igpu), temp3=35(i dont know ,may be vram,or power supply),temp1=40(cpu cores processor),
temp4=-128(default value from lm-sensors app when he can't read sensor)
for temp1 in k10temp: i don't know my be genreral sensor for cpu(cores processor) or may be motherboard sensor
How to check the temperature of integrated video card | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)