People who come from Windows, what pushed you into finally switching to linux?

When did you last familiarise yourself with the key components and functionalities gathered under the collective 'Defender' brand? It's come on a way since its launch in 2006.

Is your opinion based on an up-to-date evaluation of its functionality? I detect a bit of anti-MS prejudice here. Am I wrong?

1 Like

Have not messed with Windows 11 much at all. But it is pretty well known that Windows Defender is pretty meh.

I strongly advise using AVG, Avira, etc.

To be clear you will probably be ok with Defender but there are better options

Thanks, Aravisian. I wasn't expecting an actual answer here! :slight_smile:

By the way, it didn't work (I tried both methods, sudo and non-sudo). It tells me "All snaps up to date", but the updater for Morgen still won't run.

1 Like

Ah! The famous "it is pretty well known....." That proves it then - I'm glad you used such an impeccable source. :smile:

In all seriousness, Defender is clearly just fine for lots of people. I haven't heard anyone in my circle of acquaintances getting malwared in a few years now. In sharp contrast with its performance back in the day, when it was pretty hopeless.

2 Likes

Things have changed over the years:

As stated earlier, in the past, most experts would advise you not to rely on MS Windows’ built-in antivirus due to its unreliability.

However, that is no longer the case since 2019.

Before now, Windows users would usually deactivate Windows Defender and install other third-party antivirus programs. Things have significantly turned around.

In 2020, Microsoft Defender was voted one of the best antivirus applications. AV-Test, an independent testing lab, conducted thorough testing in May-June 2020. Windows Defender got a 6.0/6 score in the AV-Test report, which is incredible.

https://privacysavvy.com/antivirus/guides/is-windows-defender-good-enough/

Just a note:
Windows vs Linux Security is an interesting topic.
There is much that can be exchanged in the way of ideas.

Starting a new topic to cover it may be worthwhile. It currently is a tangent in this thread but at its current progress, may be difficult to separate out since it started from a user pointing out it was a reason that they had for switching.
To this end:

Please post Security related responses in the new thread so we can keep this one reasonably on topic.

1 Like

Yes, sorry, that bit of topic drift was my fault. Best to keep the threads separate.

windows is the best operating system for me, but what make me to switch to Linux is : windows10 and windows11 aren't suitable for old pc. it's consuming a lot of recourses, and Microsoft force u to use modern power pc, i think Microsoft should produce windows lite, i don't know why they didn't do that until now, Microsoft should return support windows 7.

3 Likes

Windows is actually pretty darn efficient already to the point that I would call it unnecessary.

Still is an untapped market for them for sure. Luckily there are several Linux Distros that will suit this need.

1 Like

They actually do... it is just not well known or advertised. But for a long time was used on lower spec machines. Since they came preinstalled, no one knew that was what they got.

There is also a better known Windows Tablet Edition; which comes preinstalled on Tablet PC's (Not Android Tablets, that is a different product).

1 Like

Are you referring to Windows Starter?

No, that is a different stripped down version of Windows.

Can you link to what you are referring to? Can not say I am remembering it off the top of my head.

No... lol
I am not even aware of it having a name other than whatever internal name was used by MS.
This is kind of what I mean about MS control. You couldn't look it up and download it - Let's say you are on a lower spec machine (this includes an indentifier supplied by the manufacturer) and you need to do a wipe and reload of Windows.
If you use disk, the disk runs a program that checks your hardware, then installs the version of Windows that is suited to performance on that machine. If you run the Online Installer, then it does the same, without needing to ignore bits from the full install.
I worked with this when managing ghost drives for a company (that I won't publicly name) as when there were enough issues with the machine, we just wiped and reloaded from the ghost image.
But this is how the MS Windows installer works. It is not a separate Product you could download and buy.

1 Like

I am impressive how many type desktop enviroments you can get.
The one lesson is using the one what is your favorite.
Installation many desktop enviroments on one linux distribution can hurt your operating system Zorin.
I have some experiences with that.

I just had an old laptop from a friend who said that it was not usable anymore, i said i bet i can make it work again. After using it extremely jancky with windows i switched to chromeOS Flex but hated it, i installed zorin and now i am in love with zorin and linux and yeah,... just that

5 Likes

Just out of interest, in line with a suggestion made earlier in this thread, I've vaped Zorin and installed Mint.

What a disaster! After a few minutes use it suddenly went into "fallback mode, Gnome has crashed". My theory is it being caused by an updated graphics driver, which it offered and I accepted.

There's loads of stuff online - going back years - about this fault with Mint, but I couldn't fix it so vaped the whole installation and started again. This time I declined the offer to update the graphics driver. I got maybe 20 minutes use, then shut down the PC. Next time I started it wouldn't get past a black screen, no matter how many restarts I did. It did pop up a keyring prompt, which I was able to fill in and submit, but that was all - a black screen, unaffected by all the key combinations (Ctrl-Alt-Del, etc) I could remember from the old days, no pointer and no response to mouse clicks.

This thread is about what made me switch from Windows to Zorin. Well I've tried Zorin and Mint and I've got to say the whole experience has been simply dreadful. These crashes, lock-ups and black screens remind me of the rubbish Microsoft was churning out back in the days of W95 and W98.

So, very sadly, the conclusion of my journey from Windows to Linux is that I've given up in disgust and gone back to W10 - a kludgy, inconsistent UI, but on my hardware at least, totally reliable.

1 Like

Funny. Linux is working on every machine I push it on. I guess you may have some obscure/unsupported hardware.

3 Likes

Hi, Storm. I don't think there is anything unusual about it, apart from it being about a decade old. I'll get the specs later on and post them, but I think it should probably be in the Mint forum - I don't want to misuse this Zorin forum.

1 Like

You are always welcome. But a look of your specs would be interesting. Perhaps it's a specific combo of certain hardware that triggering the issue.

1 Like