Performance of zorin on amd ryzen 5500u

Hey !!
Can anyone tell me how does zorin os perform on amd ryzen 5500u( Benchmarks would be nice to have😉).

@FrenchPress is our resident AMD user on Linux. But from what she tells us, performance is excellent on her AMD system/systems.

Ohhhh you want benchmarks do you? Well, you better pay FrenchPress a cup of coffee and a donut, then maybe she will provide you a CPU-blowfish score in HARD INFO AKA System Profiler.

My AMD is pre-Ryzen :sweat_smile:
FX8350 Black edition (8 core, 4.0 GHz) to be precise.
(It runs great with any Linux distro, but I am not a gamer.)

Haa even I have an amd fx series processor, amd fx 6300 and It actually works too good with it. But I was a little confused about these new gen processors.

Well I guess we can meet at the nearest MOD and have the doughnuts :joy:.

1 Like

Just upload your doughnuts to MegaSync.

1 Like

Now let's get serious anything about the processor performance?

I do not have AMD Ryzen, so I tried a search:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=5500u-windows10-ubuntu

While that article examines Ubuntu 21.04, Zorin OS 16 uses the 21.04 kernel. It may be a more accurate comparison.

Yeah!! Well that helped a bit thank you

I am glad that we could finally make you happy. As you can see, not too many AMD Ryzen owners posting on our forum yet. But I made a thread to welcome them if they came over here.

Well! Thanks for that.

I found a thread on which they say amd 5000 series has few problems with Ubuntu 20.04 . And zorin os 16 is built on Ubuntu 20.04 os I have to be a little careful then.

At that time, Ubuntu 20.04 was using the 5.4 kernel. Zorin OS 16 is using 5.11 kernel currently.

Zorin OS 16 PRO Screenfetch 5.11.37 Kernel

Well, in my Yoga 530 I have a Ryzen 5 2500U with Vega 8. Can I help somehow? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm running Zorin OS 16 Core on a Ryzen Pro 5850U. Works fine for me, performance is quite reasonable (edit: though I haven't run any benchmarks so far). :slight_smile:

Only issue I've found so far is that there's some potential for improvement regarding CPU governance, i.e. sometimes I feel the fan is running unnecessarily based on the CPU operating at higher power levels than necessary for the tasks at hand. Probably nothing a bit of dabbling (or better CPU management in future releases - Ryzen 5000 is still rather new) won't solve. :muscle:

1 Like

Thank you for commenting! dude generally Ubuntu works too good with old cpu's but I was talking about newer cpu.
Thanks for commenting tho👍

1 Like

Ohhh... Well, but that doesn't mean that the problem was solved for sure, right? Man is there no one who uses new hardware?

Man thanks for commenting I was waiting for a comment like yours!! Thank you

Tho even windows 11 faces problems with ryzen 5000 series and those are rather big problems. I am fine with little bit fan noise and battery usage from Ubuntu

Thanks !!!

And can you please tell me how much watt hour is your battery? And much is your laptops battery life?

/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design     =  51000 [mWh]
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full            =  52450 [mWh]

(it is sold as 51 Wh, so the additional 1450 mWh are probably supposed to be some kind of buffer for battery degradation)

Unfortunately I don't have much experience regarding battery life yet, as the device is rather new and I've been using it mostly on AC so far. All I can say for sure is that 4-5 hours of light usage (coding, browsing the net, editing documents etc.) is no problem.
Battery life definitely isn't terrible, though I don't have any direct comparison to the same (or a similar) device on Windows 10.

1 Like