PERMANENTLY Change Print Screen Hotkey

I installed ksnip as an alternative to Greenshot, which was my go-to screenshotter back on Windows. I basically NEVER need to take a screenshot of the entire screen, and instead want to select manually the rectangle I want to screenshot.

I've found the native Zorin screenshot tool allows it, but I can't set the rectangle as a default. (Help??) So I tried w/ ksnip, and while I can get the hotkey, Zorin keeps reverting back to an entire-screenshot via the native app. (Help??)

I really only need help on one of these, and I think I'm misunderstanding a fundamental way in which Linux operates. If someone can shed light on my blind spot, that'd be great. Thanks!

Danny

I have never used ksnip. I found this tutorial(ish) article:

I just tested my Zorin gnome screenshot tool and screenshooter (XFCE) both and checked "Select area to grab" and selected an area with mouse rectangle and they both worked flawlessly.
So far, so good.
The gnome screenshot tool resets its options upon next opening, but xscreenshooter (XFCE) was still set to my last setting "Select area to grab".

sudo apt install xfce4-screenshooter

Righto... just tested it out. (Also, just installed something for the first time using Terminal AND didn't ask anyone but Google for support there :wink:) Unfortunately, I need something that's going to screenshot, then open into some kind of editor so I can make annotations for work.

After testing, I successfully UNinstalled my first something using Terminal and didn't ask anyone for help but Google on that either! :muscle:

Q. Is there really no easier way to install/uninstall if the app isn't listed in the Store?

Ah. I just take the screenshots I want, then open them with GIMP as default.

Is sudo apt install that difficult? I really think it is not about easy or hard. I think it is about users perceptions of the Terminal vs a GUI app.

yes, undoubtedly it comes down to user perception. I want a big blue shiny button that says "INSTALL!" and a big red glaring button that says "GET RID OF IT!"... While I'm not opposed to using a terminal to get around (and may come to prefer it in the future) I'm thinking about the less-than-tech-savvy family I'm dragging into Linux with me. :sweat_smile:

Can you tell me, is the idea that if I go via terminal and install it without some kind of "protective" store, that I'm taking the installation into my own hands? I assume I need to be a little more wary of installing any ol' thing on my computer, amiright?

In that regard, is there a Linxu Norton I should install? :man_shrugging:

Linux is far more secure with its third party apps then Windows. In addition to this, Windows holds the lions share of the market. Malicious actors target Windows a lot more.
When you use the Software Store, it uses the same exact source and basic method to install as you do with the terminal. But whent he Store (GUI) fails, it often just seems to drop the issue, without explaining why. The terminal will tell you exactly why and what went wrong and often has suggestions on how to fix it. The GUI can only follow the basic commands its script carries, while you can intelligently choose the proper commands from a very extensive and diverse list. I believe the GUI method is worse because it leaves the User helpless and not in a position to expand their learning and understanding. They depend on it, instead of knowing how. And if it fails, it leaves them hanging in the wind.

Now, installing via Store or Terminal is really no big deal. But I try to encourage users to use the terminal as it is good training and adjustment for getting accustomed to the terminal. It is good practice. Because the Terminal is the most important, powerful and useful tool in your Desktop Toolbox. By Far. It is the Red Phone, the direct line to your wishes and the computers response.
A GUI app can only follow the limited program that the developer gave it. You have access to far more commands with the terminal than that app does- so, there will be times when entering the terminal is the only way to address a problem.
Installing from terminal is kind of taking things into your own hands. Not quite as much as building from source is... But really it is just a far more versatile and powerful utility over-all.

I really think that the actual aversion some users have to the terminal is not that it is difficult in any way, but that it is Text Based interface. It's like a first date. You are not sure what to say.
And that makes a person nervous.
After a few dates with your terminal, you'll feel a lot more comfortable.

Installing things: I remember Windows. I remember that Caution. But really, since I switched to Linux, you truly do not need to worry about "installing any ol' thing" like that anymore. Your biggest concern on Linux is Dependencies.
I am a novice Linux user- it was not very long ago I switched from Windows. This memory fresh, I believe it is useful for me to participate on this forum as I recall that Frustration all too well. So, please feel totally free to ask on the forum about any installation you would like to handle. It's hard to learn all by yourself. But installing on Linux is very easy the vast majority of the time.

A Linux Norton: Anti-virus does exist for Linux and you can search up some good ones. But in the end... I bluntly say you do not really need it. I would Never say this on a Windows forum but...
I use no anti-virus, at all on Zorin. None.

1 Like

Synaptic package manager is a good halfway house between Software Store and Command Line, but is another thing to learn. Once you have learned what it does and some basic useage then that is a great tool to have onboard for app installation, troubleshooting and removal.
As for anti-virus. I use ClamTk to scan /home on occasions. Clam/ClamTk should be included with ZorinOS, or else found in Software Store. Also use Rkhunter installed via Synaptic. Rkhunter is run from Terminal.

2 Likes