Pin executable to taskbar

Let me try that

It doesn't seem to work, and for the second one, the exe needs the other stuff in the folder, I think. Let me try it. That being said,

shows up when I double click the file. I'm aware I don't need to double click. However, is this related?

For the second one, the thing is locked. Do I need to use sudo ch-- something?

I can't find what I was meant to type, do you remember? Sorry, and thanks alot for responding.

I downloaded the file from the website, just as you described. It does not provide any .exe files, at all. It provides a blender application x-executable file. It also includes a Blender Desktop file.

I didn't say it was an exe, I said it was an executable. You said, or maybe it was another responder said, said that. I assumed you guys were right since it didn't have a suffix.

Do I just put the desktop file in .local>share>applications?

Because that doesn't work. Where should I put it?

Oh, ok. I must have misunderstood the first mention of .exe - you can see how that would confuse the issue.

This is Linux... So as such, you really can have it anywhere you want. It will launch, all the same. If you like to keep things organized, you can place the blender-3.2.2-linux-x64 directory in /opt
Or in /usr/share/
OR in ~/.local/share/

The desktop file is included and calls upon the blender icon and executable file - so you can direct the path to that desktop file in your pin, whereever you keep your blender file placed.

My problem is that it doesn't show up when I put it in ./local/share. However I've been logging out and not restarting. Is that why? Should I try a different folder?

What, exactly, are you putting in ~/.local/share?

You had said ~/.local/share/applications above... But that folder is strictly for desktop files only, and those reference the direct path to the executable file.
The desktop file included in your download can stay in the blender-3.2.2-linux-x64 directory, with the blender-3.2.2-linux-x64 directory placed where ever you want. Then direct the path of the PIN to the desktop file in its location.
Since I downloaded the file, I tested this and created a pin for it - and it works fine.

I put the blender.desktop there. I'm confused what you mean by create a pin and place V directory wherever.

Sorry, I'm not that knowledgeablem what do you mean by V director and path-pin-directing?

Sorry, I typoed and hit shift+v instead of ctrl+v to paste.
The "V" should be " blender-3.2.2-linux-x64"
I have corrected the original post to keep it easy to follow.

Thanks! Wait, what do you mean by the path of the pin? Which pin?

Your original question was in getting the Pinned application to launch the Blender app.
That pin, is the pin I am referring to.
If you adjust the settings for the Pin, then set the path to lead directly to the file you wish it to operate.

The problem is I don't have a pin to change the settings for, do I need to add one?

And thanks for all the help, by the way.

Oh, I see. I had thought you had pinned it, but the pin was not working.
In that case, can you try the suggestion made here:

New item to the add will be the blender file with path
/home/$USER/Desktop/blender-3.2.2-linux-x64/blender.desktop

I actually linked it to the executable, but it works, so thanks!

1 Like

Either should launch the application. :wink:
I just figured that linking to the desktop file will allow you to modify the desktop file in future and still be able to see an immediate effect to the change.
Good to know you are all fixed up.

Thanks a lot for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.