Popping noise as sound goes on/off

Operation not permitted, access denied. On all three.

How odd... Did you set up a different user account when you installed Zorin OS?

No but I did change my user name but changed it back.

Edit: Took control of file using sudo -H nautilus. But the script did not add the line. Gonna try to add it manually but that guy's site is down. Might be:

options snd-hda-intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N

What else can go wrong?

Edit: SUCCESS.

By why did I have so much trouble doing these things when others didn't? I'd better keep sudo -H nautilus handy.

What I learned:

*Do NOT change your user name

*To run a script (at least my way), paste it into a text file, trim junk off the top, change extension to sh, click the file and run in terminal, put in your password (terminal does not show you what's happening tho, might flash)

You can wrestle control of a file with sudo -H nautilus, which opens a browser where you can locate the file

Another thing which MAY have caused this prob is I turned off Suspend When Laptop Lid is Closed (I have a desktop). This may have sent a signal that I am on a laptop and turned on audio power savings.

Update: Booted from the thumb drive and the popping sound is there! The default for Zorin is to idle the sound after 10 secs. Doesn't the popping on resume bother anyone else?

I never experience it- which suggests it is specific to your machine or hardware.

1 Like

OK, guess that's it. The odd thing is, I used it for two weeks and never paid attention to the these very obvious sounds. :smiley:

If it was not doing so, then began doing so... I would suspect an update brought the change. Perhaps kernel, perhaps driver, perhaps peripheral code that affects it...
In my own experience... When an update brings a bug, it usually is resolved in the next update, due to bug reporting.
But we can try things like rolling back the kernel or checking your drivers.

Can't be it, I booted from the thumb drive. Unless that gets updated.

Maybe we just don't notice things until we do?

I am notorious about this... :wink:

It only can be updated if run with persistence...

Anyway, I am now enjoying the silence. And I learned how to edit a file using sudo -i nautilus. Also run a script.

1 Like

This seems to fix it, unfortunately on my connected headphones at the airport, can't test until I get to my destination later. I'll let you know if this fixes it later today.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Just following up on this proposed fix to disable/comment out:
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

worked for me. Thanks again.

1 Like

New issue. I locked the laptop and stepped away to shower, came back out to use the laptop, started Spotify and got no sound. so popping noise definitely went away, but losing sound altogether makes it worse. Any ideas on this?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.