Problem copying files to network drive

Problem copying files to network drive
I wanted to duplicate a file on a NAS drive using copy/paste in order to continue working with the copy. When pasting using Control V, the file explorer closes without a message and nothing happens. What is the problem?

Even though yhis is GNU/Linux you will need to install samba/cif-utils to share files across a network.

Or without samba, NFS:

Thanks for the tip. I don't quite understand why you can open a NAS drive (Synology not windows!) and why copying and deleting files works. Only copy/paste in the same directory leads to the described error?

Wondering if it is a file permission issue:

It can't be a permission problem. If I copy the file to a local drive and then copy it back to the NAS, it works.

Cheated with Brave's GPT A.I.!

Why can't I copy and paste a file on a different partition on my NAS drive using Ubuntu 22.04

The issue of copying a file to a different partition on your NAS drive using Ubuntu 22.04 is likely due to the fact that the default permissions or mount options are not set correctly for the partition.

When you try to copy a file from one partition to another, Ubuntu might not be able to access the target partition due to permissions issues. This is especially common when working with external devices like NAS drives.

Here’s a possible solution:

1. Check the partition permissions: Use the lsblk command to list all the partitions and their permissions. This will help you identify if the target partition has the correct permissions for writing.
lsblk -d -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL,UUID,PERMS
  1. Mount the partition with the correct options: If the target partition does not have the correct permissions, you can try mounting it with the mount command and specifying the correct options.
sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /mnt -o rw,uid=1000,gid=1000

Replace /dev/sdb1 with the actual device name of your target partition, and /mnt with the mount point you want to use.

1. Copy the file: Once the partition is mounted correctly, you can try copying the file again.
cp /source/file /mnt/destination
  1. Unmount the partition: When you’re done copying the file, be sure to unmount the partition to ensure data integrity.
sudo umount /mnt

Remember to replace /mnt with the actual mount point you used earlier.

If you’re still having issues, you may want to check the NAS drive’s settings or consult the manufacturer’s documentation for specific instructions on how to access and copy files from the drive.

Trying to access an installed partition while using Zorin Live and got this warning message when attempting to set 'share' attributes:

I copied the file back to the same partion on NAS