Problem with display resolution

Hi everyone, I can't choose the correct resolution for the external monitor that is connected to my laptop, the highest resolution I can choose in the settings is 1920x1080, my monitor is 3440x1440 (21:9 aspect ratio), does Zorin support this resolution?

(I'm completely new to linux)

Hi, please post the output of these commands;

sudo apt install inxi
inxi -G
1 Like

Hello, here's the output of the second command:

nikusya@nikusya-ThinkPad-X260:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: i915 tty: N/A
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 520 (SKL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.6

These Graphics drivers are included in the kernel...
Some folks resolve this by switching to a DVI - USBC cable.

Have you tried setting your custom resolution with xrandr?

I do agree that 4k on Linux needs more development. But we can try... I went ahead and searched for a Full Guide:

1 Like

alright I've made it work through a ThinkPad usb-c usb-a dock, just had to install a DisplayLink driver that i was able to find easily. wasn't able to add a custom resolution using cvt and xrandr

Are you using Nvidia Graphics?

i'm on a laptop using integrated intel graphics (Intel Skylake GT2)

I am sorry, I get in a hurry - I did not word that very well.
Some users have an Integrated card (Intel) in combination with Dedicated (AMD or Nvidia) card.
I am confident by your repetition that if you had a dedicated card, you would have said so.

Have you tried running in terminal:

xrandr --newmode "3440x1440_60.00"  712.75  3440 4160 4576 5312  2160 2163 2168 2237 -hsync +vsync

If you run the above command, if it fails, please read through the output and look for modeset(0): HDMI max frequency
Or similar and relay what it says here...

While I understand you want that beautiful high resolution on your monitor, my screen size is 3840x2400 but after months of struggle I finally succumbed and just set my display to 1920x1080.

The reason is: when you set your display to that high resolution you will also need to scale your screen to 200%. It seems great, until you use a program that ignores scaling. You end up with impossibly small icons/menus and displays which renders those programs unusable unless you switch back to 1920x1080 every time you want to use one of those programs. (I tried every fix possible but nothing worked.)
In my experience it was nearly 30% off all the programs I use on linux have this issue.

Something to think about.

1 Like

This is true. Fractional scaling in Linux is currently fractionally developed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.