Problem With Steam or Proton

I've been wrestling with this problem for 2-3 weeks now and viewed the info on this board and on the web but I can't find an answer ..... my problem is much like others on here where the game will not launch ..... it goes through the motions of trying but then goes right back from launching to play without launching ...... the game is " The Hunter: Call of the Wild " and I have been playing it for months with no problem .....

I've have 617 hrs of playtime on this one game ..... several other games launch and play just fine ..... I am using Proton and up until now it work without a hitch and I have tried every single variation listed for this game ......

I originally downloaded Steam from their website and today I even installed Steam on Flatpak and downloaded the entire game again but the same problem persists ..... no launching .....

I did notice that Vulkan Shaders downloaded but went immediately from launching to Play instead of launch ..... is it possible that it could be screwing up my game ????? .....

I have tried all the various versions of Z17 Pro I have in my log-in drop down menu but no changes ..... I installed NVIDIA 535 and 470 drivers as I read you need to have the latest video drivers installed ..... should I try the Zorin generic driver ?????

I can't remember if I have played this game since switching to Z17 Pro as I had so many problems installing and getting it to work the way I wanted it to ..... but I suspect I have played it just not very much .....

Another game I have is The Hunter Classic made by the same folks that made COTW and it plays just fine .....

I'm at a loss for what to do ...... suggestions please .....

Try switch proton engine for that game.

1 Like

Thanks Storm ..... I tried all the engines but not the launch options ..... I am just using the same launch options from the one that worked before with all the other engines ...... my original launch options are .....

VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json %command%

And are used on engine .....

6.3-8

There are 12 other search engines and I have tried them all but used the launch option listed above .....