Problems installing Zorin Lite 15.3 on Virtualbox

I'm trying to build a virtual machine and install Zorin as the os, but right after I click "try or install zorin os lite" I get a black screen. I know this is a common problems but all the fixes I saw related to installing on physical machines.
To feel in the necessary details:

• The ISO was downloaded from the website minutes before.
  • The "usb" is just the OS on my physical machine.
  • Since I don't reboot there is no safe boot and so.
  • I have a lenovo thinkpad 5 flex.
    I thought that maybe the problem is my graphic cards, so I then picked the option for the modern graphic cards. It showed the Zorin logo for a few seconds and then also went into a black screen.
    What should I do?

Sorry for the repetitive question and thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Virtual: Are you using Virtualbox or VMWare?

He says he's using Virtual Box in the title of his thread post. :wink:

1 Like

Doink...

Ok, Can you check the Configuration > General tab - see that it is set to Ubuntu 64bit

There are a LOT of settings configurations - and yes, you are quite right that the usual fixes do not apply here.

Do you mean the what I had set when I first created the virtual machine (I'm not totally sure how to reach configuration)? Because if so it is set on other linux 64 bit (I assumed that since I'm not installing Ubuntu, I shouldn't set it to Ubuntu, and a Zorin option wasn't available
EDIT: Found what you were talking about. Changed it to Ubunto 64 bit and testing it now.
EDIT #2: After clicking install it showed some running code and on the bottom a bar started to fill. It got to the second box and then I got the usual black screen. If it helps I do get a grey bar at the bottom which has the (wrong) date and a notification icon on one side and the Zorin logo on the other. Nothing happens when I click either of those. It doesn't even act like a button (I have no idea if it's supposed to be). On the bright side, I am a bit proud of myself for knowing that the regular fixes won't work

I had this very same thing when I first tried running a Zorin OS on Virtualbox.
But yes, since Zorin is built off of Ubuntu, it can be treated as Ubuntu in many things. If you are having some other issues that need troubleshooting, you can search for that issue under Ubuntu 18.04 (For Zorin OS 15) to find applicable tips. This does not necessarily apply to Zorin OS Specific applications, though.

To me, this sounds as though you are seeing the desktop without a background image, with a nonfunctional panel at the bottom. I could be wrong- and someone who is better at using Virtualbox than I am may know what that is and of a very easy fix.
But I have barely ever used VirtualBox and it has been a long time since I have.
VirtualBox does have a forum though:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/
Where more knowledgeable people may hang out.

In the meantime, I wouldn't want it known I casually foisted you off on someone else so...
Let's check your Installation Method, in case there is something in it that may solve the issue sooner.
Here is a guide assuming Ubuntu 18.04. Using that, we can check your steps on Zorin OS 15.

Step 1 is covered. Step two includes providing a name for the OS. You can name it Zorin, though the guide named it Ubuntu since that is what the guide is for. But really, you can name it whatever you want. You can name it ZorinMcZorinface if you want to.
Memory size- I would suggest greater than 4gig.
Type: Linux
Version: Ubuntu 64bit

File location can be Zorin

Please update this thread with results.

Sounds about right, though when I try and restart the machine it takes me back to "try or install Zorin", which means it didn't "save" the os... right?

I don't mind switching to Vmware, I chose VirtualBox only because Google recommended it.

OMG Yes!

Hmm, even though I'm using Zorin lite? According to the docs it needs only 512mb but maybe this is the problem.
I don't plan on using it as a main machine, I just need a linux at hand for working with Raspberry Pi and co.

I'll try making a new machine with the guide you provided. Hopefully it will work. Thanks for your help!

Correct.

I would recommend virtualbox over VMWare, and my knowledge of both is just as meager as the other. :wink:

Bare minimum that will make it run. Barely.

It may be easier for you to run Zorin from a USB stick with persistence:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

VirtualBox and USB with persistence both come with bottlenecks making the OS run sluggish and slow. If you wish to overcome that, you might just install on a small partition, say 60 gigs or so. Then reclaim that partition when your project is complete.

Two questions: 1. What is a partition? When I googled it it either gave me the definition of the word in general or a specific software named partition.
2. Vitrualbox and a USB will make only Zorin to run slow or all Linux os systems? The thing is I want to use Linux as a "utility" only for when I need it and for short tasks like managing Raspberry Pi files (which are Linux based and can't be read by Windows) and so on. Maybe Zorin ain't the best solution for that?

Any Operating System, if bottlenecked, will run slower.
We speak of Zorin because this is the Zorin Forum. If this was the Manjaro forum, I would have said that it would make Manjaro run slower.

A partition is a block of your hard drive assigned to a specific task or Operating system. A partition is separate from another partition.
Let's say that you divide a 1 terabyte partition into two equal halves making two partitions of ~500gigs each. It would be basically the same as having two 500gig HDD's, instead of one 1ter HDD.

Given the speed records Zorin 16 appears to be shattering in The Road To Zorin 16, I wouldn't bank on it.

Ohhh okay

Didn't know that, thanks for the info!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Also, when I downloaded Zorin Lite it was only ver. 15.3, is there a newer one for lite as well?

Zorin OS 15.3 is the latest and current version.
Zorin 16 is currently in development and due for release soon.

Got it.
In this case I think I'll look into a more light weight os, since I only need it as a utility.
Thank you for all of your help!

You might want to look into LXDE/LXQT for light weight Linux OS's for utility. They have a minimal desktop environment, and are easy on hardware.