Problems since using Linux!

Hi
So i moved from Windows 8.1 to Linux about 2 weeks ago and i chose Zorin Os 16 because it was really awesome, but now i have some problems
The first one is with creating a bootable disk! The problem is that when i select an Iso file, it doesn't even choose it or show it in the menu! And it isn't file problem because i have tested 4 different Iso file!

The 2nd problem is with scanning for bad sectors of HDD or any other disk, i have tested 3 different way and still my HDD have bad sectors.
And my Last problem is with Terminal, i don't know so much about codes and most of codes in the Internet doesn't work at all, for example when try to make a log file it says that the file is saved but when i open it it's empty so i have to write it here |:

fairytale@HP-ProBook-4530s:~$ sudo e2fsck -cfpv /media/fairytale/WIN.LIVE.7
[sudo] password for fairytale:       
e2fsck: Is a directory while trying to open /media/fairytale/WIN.LIVE.7
/media/fairytale/WIN.LIVE.7: 
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
 or
    e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

fairytale@HP-ProBook-4530s:~$ badblocks -w -s -o error.log /media/fairytale/WIN.LIVE.7
badblocks: invalid starting block (0): must be less than 0
fairytale@HP-ProBook-4530s:~$ 

I'd appreciate it if anyone would help me.

2 Likes

Which version of Zorin are you using? 16? Is it Core, Lite, or Pro?
I am not sure that Zorin comes with a Startup disk creator - did you add this application yourself?
As for bad sectors, did you try Disks and SMART disk test?

/home/swarfendor437/Pictures/Disks 1.jpg

/home/swarfendor437/Pictures/Disks 2.jpg

2 Likes

I am using Zorin 16, Core Version
About Startup disk creator, yep i installed it from Software app because idk another way to do that
I also try Disks, SMART disk test is gray out ):

I see your using Windows. Did you turn hibernate off in Windows ?

It's greyed out because you haven't mounted the external drive. Right-click and mount the drive in Nemo explorer.

Any other idea?

Just make sure fast startup (in windows) is off. And also make sure that Windows does not hibernate, for example when the power level becomes critical.

Just connected my 4 Tb WD Elements and that is greyed out too - guess it is because it is in a USB enclosure and not in the actual machine. Same for USB memory sticks/thumb drives/flash drives whatever you prefer to call them.

Unfortunately, most proprietary hard drive checks are only provided for Windows users. For Linux follow this guide:

Also your external drive is set to NTFS not an ext# file system.

That said all my external drives are NTFS but never bothered to check them.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.