Problems with airplane mode

Hello everyone, I am having a detail that I just noticed recently, I am currently using Zorin OS Core 16.3 on an HP Pavilion g4 1215dx, the keyboard of this laptop, as in many manufacturers, has keys with some functions, the vast majority They work without problems but there are 3 that don't work, of which only 1 interests me, which is the airplane mode. Basically, pressing the key activates airplane mode but the LED lighting does not change from white (total functions activated) to red (airplane mode activated) and I cannot deactivate airplane mode again unless I access the system configuration

Have you run any firmware updates?

Which kernel are you on?

uname -r

1 Like

I suppose that by firmware you mean BIOS, I have never done a BIOS update but it has the latest BIOS update, what I think is that years ago when I had 0 knowledge about hardware and software I sent this laptop to be formatted with Windows 7 and I think they updated the BIOS there.

I have also executed the command through the terminal and it gave me what can be seen in the image

I add as a last comment that I have tried USB Live with Linux Mint and the button works correctly there, I tried the same with a Zorin Live to confirm if it was a problem with my installation or not, exactly the same thing happens on the USB as on the system installed

Now that I think about it, I could try to take Ubuntu with its Live, it just occurred to me since I know that Zorin has the Ubuntu kernel and for this reason it takes many functions of this OS

Captura de pantalla de 2023-12-13 01-46-39

Well, I tested Zorin OS 17 via USB Live and the button works correctly. Regarding the proposal of updating the system kernel, I would prefer not to try to update it manually because I can leave the kernel corrupted, so I am going to wait for version 17 to come stable. Help is appreciated. I'm going to close the discussion.

Do not worry, there is little risk of this.
On Zorin OS 16, you can run

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.03

Reboot and test.

If it gives any trouble, you can boot into Advanced Options for Zorin and select the previous working kernel to boot from.
Then in terminal run

sudo apt remove --purge linux-generic-6.03

1 Like

I have carried out the steps as you have explained to me and after a somewhat slow reboot I have the updated kernel, currently the system seems stable and the button works without problems. Thank you very much everyone for the help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.