Problems with Chromium since Jan 22 update

Since this update (to v88.0.4324.96 64-bit), the Google homepage doodle, search field and Most Visited tiles are suddenly not appearing on launch or in new tabs. Anyone else seeing this? In my case these are Ubuntu-based snap auto-updates (Chromium snap ver 1461 in this instance). Is the solution to revert to last previous snap (ver 1444) from Jan 8?

Chrome proper (same version number but not a snap to my knowledge) also updated a couple of days ago and seems not to have this glitch. It did briefly but seems to have recovered.

This has been cross-posted to the Chromium-discuss Google group.

1 Like

Recent news I got in my feed about Google and Chromium based browsers- I cannot find the same link I got in my feed but this one appears close enough:

I do not know if this is directly related- but the timing of it suggests at least peripheral relation as Chromium and Chromium based browsers get themselves sorted out on what they are allowed and not-allowed to access and do.

Thanks for this tip, but I think Chrome is based on Chromium, not the other way round, so not sure how they’d “cut off” Chromium. I was poking around the Software library and saw these “channel” options for the Chromium snap.

Any idea if one of those would fix the problem?

I think there is some confusion, here. No one said anything about Google cutting off Chromium.
Google is restricting Chromium-based browsers to access to Chrome API's.
Chrome is built off of Chromium and Chromium was released as open source code.
Google adds proprietary services to Chromium to make it into Google Chrome.

2 Likes

This is the non-Snap version of Chromium I can currently find in the Software Store:
87.0.4280.66-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/1913069

OK. According to that link, bug affects both deb and snap versions. I would not know myself, as I use FF rather than Chromium or Chromium based browsers.

also https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1170721

Fix released Jan 26 as v88.0.4324.96 (chromium_1466.snap)

1 Like

Hello maybe this is not the place where to ask, but it is the only most related to avoid opening a new topic.
I want to install Chromium under Zorin lite 16.1. But I don't want to use snap or flatpac. Will that be possible.? I ask because I read the topic and post where you mentioned the news about Google.

Yes it certainly is. Chromium should be already available in the Zorin Repository:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install chromium-browser

Hi, thank you very much for you answer. I tried this command but snapd is installed along with many of its libraries or complements (don't know how to say it), so I uninstalled the whole package.

You can remove Snap entirely with

sudo apt remove --purge snapd

I always remove it after any fresh install of Zorin OS.
Flatpak, too.

Sorry to go off topic,but what are your reasons for removing snap and flatpak ?.

They bundle libraries that are already in the os, perform an extra level of isolation that is pretty much unnecessary and causes more issues than it ever makes it simpler to use. The file sizes are huge in comparison to the actual programs because if the dependency duplication and snap/flatpak required configuration and integration files. Flatpak is more stable, but the file sizes are prohibitive even on large drives. Applications nearly the size of small games?! How many 1-5GB applications can you install before running out of room? And the updates usually only make them larger.

While the installation and startup are without issue (usually) its a half baked option that has more issues than solutions and usually ends with you waiting for the dev to provide a patch to fix it.

Apt is a proven package manager that focuses on ease of use and stability with interoperability in mind. It has also been updated, dropping the -get which was part of the original version along with adding more features. All that and it doesn't just update your apps, but your os, if any updates are available.

2 Likes