Problems with GIMP

Having a bit of a problem understanding why GIMP being such a complex program would take and have 3rd party folks develop plug-ins for important tasks like batch filling and converting avif files to something else .....

I downloaded the files but they were zip files ..... I extracted them and placed the new folders into the folder recommended to in GIMP ..... restarted GIMP but they didn't install .....

I can see there are a script file to build the program. You properly need to compile it first.

1 Like

Does this article help?:

2 Likes

GIMP is developed by Gnome, which develops a base desktop, then has third party folks develop extensions. Then they complain about third party developers creating extensions that "break Gnome".

Swarfs guide is a good one. The best way to install plugins for GIMP is to install via repository and APT.

2 Likes

That article basically said the exact same thing as the one I used in the photos above ..... apparently I got the avif files to open but to change them to another format you had to do it one at a time ......

I never did get the batch file to work ..... thanks

Yes and that is where the problem begins as there is no continuity in how these extensions are developed and by what means ..... unfortunately I'm not versed enough in Linux to know the hundreds of ways to convert these extensions to run on GIMP ...... (sigh)

BUT OMG I found a program that allowed me to both batch and change the format of avif files ......

____________________________________ **gThumb **_________________________________

It is so simple even a child can do it ..... I tried using gThumb back on z16 Pro and never did figure out how to do it after many hours of trying ..... not sure if the apt was upgraded or my going to Z17 did the trick but it WORKS .....

First make gThumb your default apt for avif files here .....

Then convert from avif to the new format ......

Finally batch you files ......

Put you newly converted files where ever you want ........

Dancing for Joy

2 Likes