Problems with the video player "Player" (unexpected crash) & Kodi

Hi everyone,

The player crashes unexpectedly, when I open the stored videos. Even when I use Kodi if I close the program after watching a video it produces a crash file in the home folder … Intel® HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) video card, no non-proprietary drivers. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Maurizio

!

Schermata da 2020-08-18 08-17-00|690x431

Are you running in Wayland? If so, that would be the cause. Log out, then click the gear icon to select the normal Zorin desktop and log in.

If not, can you paste this into terminal

glxinfo | grep -i vendor

and paste the output here?

I am not running in Wayland … I paste the output (glxinfo | grep -i vendor) here.

maurizio@MSIMINICUBI3:~$ glxinfo | grep -i vendor
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center (0x8086)
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
maurizio@MSIMINICUBI3:~$

Thanks

diefis, can you please try reinstalling the xserver xorg drivers?
In terminal, please run

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

HI,

thank for your help.
The first part went well, I see the movies but when I start from a stored movie it crashes …

This is what the terminal tell me when I run “sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg”:
maurizio @ MSIMINICUBI3: ~ $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
dpkg-query: package “xserver-xorg” is not installed and no information is available
Use “dpkg --info” (= “dpkg-deb --info”) to scan the archives e
“dpkg --contents” (= “dpkg-deb --contents”) to list its contents.
/ usr / sbin / dpkg-reconfigure: xserver-xorg is not installed

The problem is come back …

What I have to do now?
Maurizio

Check for broken packages. The easy way is by using Synaptic. If you do not already have it:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

Open Synaptic and enter your password. When the GUI pops up, on the lower left, move to the "custom Filters" tab button.
Then above it, look for "Broken" and select that.
If Broken packages are displayed on the right, then right click them and select to remove, then select "apply" from the top Toolbar.

In terminal, please run

sudo apt clean

then run:

sudo apt-get install -y xserver-xorg-video-intel

Please relay if there are any errors during the install or if it successfully installs.

I installed synaptic and did as you told me.
There are no damaged or broken packages.
I then entered “sudo apt-get install -y xserver-xorg-video-intel” in the terminal (after “sudo apt clean” and it gave me as result:

maurizio @ MSIMINICUBI3: ~ $ sudo apt-get install -y xserver-xorg-video-intel
Reading package list … Done
Dependency tree generation
Read status information … Done
xserver-xorg-video-intel is already at the latest version (2: 2.99.917 + git20171229-1).
The following packages were installed automatically and are no longer required:
libllvm9 libxatracker2 x11-apps x11-session-utils xbitmaps xinit xinput
Use “sudo apt autoremove” to remove them.
0 updated, 0 installed, 0 to be removed and 1 not updated.
maurizio @ MSIMINICUBI3: ~ $

But the problem persists though …
Maurizio

Perhaps it is Mesa.
In terminal, add the repository

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kisak/kisak-mesa

Then upgrade

sudo apt dist-upgrade

In terminal, run

glxgears

and please reply back if a pop up opens with an animation of gears running.

Done,

Sorry, how long do I have to run glxgears? I have to reboot, as the problem persists …?glxgears

I'm wondering if it is a graphics memory issue?

swarfendor437

So what could be the solution? You say that the graphics card memory is low?

Hi (a news …),

It is not possible that it is the video card memory, as the same video (identical format) in Ubuntu (of the VB virtual machine) works perfectly and the Video application does not crash … It is a problem related to zorin OS and drivers installed. Or to the player … in my opinion.

Maurizio

Can you provide us with the make and exact model of Notebookk? :wink:

MSI MINICUBE 3 SILENT MSI Mini Pc Cubi 3 Silent S-031BEU Intel Core i7-7500U 2.5 GHz, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD - Intel® HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2). ZORIN OS 15.3 ULTIMATE.

OK, go to this site and scroll down to the Linux section and follow the terminal commands given there to establish how much of the 4 Gb RAM on board this rig is allocated to Graphics:

and report back the results. Thanks.

Searching this issue on the web, I find a lot of opened bug reports on the issue and very little offered in the way of solutions…

No matter what the hardware platform, (motherboard of dekstop, notebook, mini-pcs and their ilk) integrated graphics are bound to cause issues. in particular the last two items as you cannot change (usually) the built in graphics as they are soldered on - and no expansion slot - unless you are running a desktop tower pc.

RAM MSICUBI3

swarfendor437

Here, I did as you told me …

Looking at that report it looks like you are limited to 256 Mb which will be taken from your system RAM, just like a notebook - that is quite low by modern standards. Just remember your cube was not built for Linux - however you could give AntiX 19 a go which only uses 256 Mb RAM when runnning and that is system RAM not graphics memory!

https://antixlinux.com/

Hi,

In my opinion you are wrong. I told you that with a virtual machine (72 mb dedicated graphics memory) everything works perfectly (ubuntu 20 identical player, identical video - 6.9 GB 4K Mozart-Requiem …) … Only with Zorin OS it doesn’t work … Anyway if you tell me that I have to change the OS, that’s fine … you give me back the 45 € I spent and the deal is done. I wrote on the forum why I like Zorin OS and consider it my favorite operating system. He has only one problem, the video player crashes, but only with zorin, with Ubuntu it doesn’t crash. so it’s not a video card problem … Now I see what I need to do.

Thank you, Maurizio