Question about switching to another OS

Is anyone here thinking to try another OS?

I don't mean Zorin is bad. It's, in fact, too good. I've been using Zorin as my daily driver for more than 2.5 years now.

I'm thinking maybe, just for the sake of a change, try another OS.

Which OS (that is based on Ubuntu) do you recommend to try? I'll first try it in VirtualBox.

Is Elementary OS any good?

1 Like

I avoid Elementary OS, as I prefer to control the OS instead of the OS controlling me. But why not load it up in a VM and try it out? You may like it just fine.
There is also Linux Mint. Which I am certain is on your radar, already.
Pop_OS
If you would like to explore other Desktops: Budgie, KDE - like KDE Neon...

Get out there and Explore using your VM to set your own pace. I enjoyed distro hopping early on. Lately, It is not as fun... As I began to realize that the base framework is often the same, so it makes more sense to pick one and then customize it to be how you want.
I settled on Zorin OS because of many reasons... But the primary one was that Zorin OS gives great performance and I do not know what it is that the ZorinGroup does to make this happen.
I make Zorin OS my base, then customize it to be the OS I want.

Distro Hopping is a good way to expose yourself to what customizations exist, what can be set up and how to customize your computer your way.

5 Likes

Next in line for me would be Linux Mint or Kubuntu or Pop!_OS.

I would recommend you stay away from distros that have a rolling release (like ArcoLinux), you never know with these what will break next...

I've been thinking of trying out Pop!_OS, as everyone keeps saying so many good things about it and version 22.04 was recently released.

Another great option that I tried for a while is Linux Mint, very user friendly and stable. Whichever you go for, make sure there's a community behind it to help out with any issues and questions.

I also have been using Linux Mint for about a month now. I have found there to be a couple of differences between it and Zorin. The software store and software updater just seem to work a lot better on LM. And also better than POP OS updater. This may just be my system and internet connections but so far I have had no problems with the software updater on LM.

I have also found both POP OS and LM to be easier for me to install games on. I have just not been able to get games to work on my machine using Zorin. I know several on here have gotten games to work fine on Zorin but even with some great help from this forum my machine just does not like games when using Zorin but LM seems especially easy to install windows games on. I use Play on Linux and they just seem to install and work.

I realize everyone's use of their PC is different and all PCs are not the same so of course your experience may be different than mine. Just sharing my experience with a couple of other distros. My main PC I use all the time is a laptop with Zorin 16 core and I will probably not change that. It just works day after day with no problems at all. I have LM on my desktop that I use to test out other distros and play games on.

1 Like

Why not be daring and give Devuan 4.0 a go? I chose it as it does not have SystemD, but uses SysVinit boot loader instead. I am running the KDE desktop, but I also have Gnome Flashback installed and LXQt - much nicer than xfce, but that is just my opinion. Also it can be installed by someone with no sight and all menus work with the screenreader. When the screenreader version is installed it uses ALSA and not Pulse Audio, but you can't turn the Accessibility option off sadly which is what I would like to do so I don't have Pulse Audio - that said I have 'disabled' Pulse Audio anyway.

1 Like