Random horizontal delays when using apps

This is actually a kind of scary thought, but I did it anyways! So we got past the first step, but we got stuck in the next step.

I got stuck on the part where you "Add the graphics software packages". As you can see in the screenshot, it just stopped. I'm not sure if it was supposed to do this.

Sometimes you need to give things time to install. Usually it should go back to the opening prompt (the one in green in screenshot) after completing installation. Once done, reboot before renaming back to Zorin and see if there is any improvement.

I've given it a few hours to install and nothing. Is there a shortcut/command like ctrl+c that retries the command or unpauses it? I haven't pressed ctrl+c. I was just hoping there was something like that.

Or maybe should I repaste part of the command? If so, which do I do?

EDIT: Nvm. I fixed it I think. I just needed to press enter. That's weird.

Alright. So I tried it and tested it. Looks like the problem is still there.
Here's the pics I was able to take. It's like this for a second and disappears or the whole horizontal part that has the delay disappears when I hover over it.

I'll undo the thing with nano tomorrow. But did I ever need to enable or disable anything for this to work properly? Or by installing the drivers it selected it automatically?

I'm beginning to wonder if the display is developing a fault. The only way to be sure is to put Windows back on to see if it does it there.

Just a thought. Does it do the same when running Zorin from a Live USB?

I don't think I can try Windows without buying a license, but I'm going to try install Linux Mint. That way we can kind of test this.

But do you know of any distributions that don't have any screen tearing or delay problems? I heard there are like two out there that never get any.

No idea. Never even heard that was possible. I'll do some research and see if I can maybe try that.

Give Devuan live iso a try:

What I mean is boot the USB you used to install ZorinOS (i.e. your installation media) and select the "Try Zorin" option.
Is the problem still present

Alrighty. I apologize for the delay. Here's what I've done and learned.

• With Zorin OS installed, I tried Zorin by running it from a live USB. Still had horizontal tearing.
  • I reinstalled the Zorin OS. Still had horizontal tearing.
  • With Zorin OS installed, I tried Fedora by running it from a live USB. No horizontal tearing! Great news, but I don't like Fedora.
  • I installed Fedora on top of the Zorin OS. Also no horizontal tearing.
  • With Fedora OS installed, I tried Zorin by running it from a live USB. Got horizontal tearing again.

So it seems like Zorin specifically is giving me the issue and Fedora has something that Zorin doesn't have that solves the horizontal delay.

Any ideas on what I should do now?

And random question. Where do we go to see all of the hardware Zorin supports? Is there a place to find that info?

@zabadabadoo and @swarfendor437

In terms of hardware support, Zorin is based off Ubuntu which can be behind other distributions. The only resource available I can think of is this:

1 Like

Thank you.

And any other ideas on how to fix this?

You could search Fedora install to see what graphics driver it is using and take a note of it.
Open a terminal and enter:

sudo update-pciids

then:

sudo lspci -v

And scroll through until you find graphics card information.

Just had another idea. Try Ubuntu 22.04 in live mode. If no tearing then you may have to wait for Zorin 17.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.