Random Thoughts of Open Source Projects in Japan

I was happy that Zorin OS supports Japanese, and that there is no unnatural language. Although there are over 100 million Japanese speakers, the localization tends to lag behind in open source projects. I think this is due to the low social status of people involved in information technology in Japan, so they cannot afford to participate in the projects.

In addition, many native speakers of Japanese do not have sufficient English language skills. Therefore, unlocalized technology is not widespread in Japan, and this leads to a vicious cycle that leaves Japan as an isolated island of information.

1 Like

What about the Japanese distribution, Berry Linux?

@swarfendor437 It makes me feel nostalgic, but a project supported by passion of one person is fragile. Japanese freeware, which flourished until the time of Windows XP, failed to take root as a culture.

Had another search and Vine Linux has a team of six developers:

https://www.vinelinux.org/

The Japanese language describes dates in the order of year, month, and day. For example, today is 2022/9/4. You will see that this project is not active.

According to Distrowatch a dead project is one with no releases over a 2 year period. The first link lists 6 Japanese distributions, not all are Linux.

https://distrowatch.com/search-mobile.php?origin=Japan

The link below defines what a project is deemed to be active:
https://distrowatch.com/dwres-mobile.php?resource=faq#distrostatus

I Heard Ubuntu Uwuntu but don't know if this exactly Japan distribution.

Why do Japanese laptops continue to support legacy ports?

If you are referring to RGB/VGA port then yes, where I worked before a whiteboard was installed meant presentations involved a projector with vga connection which projected onto a collapsible screen on a tripod.
But is this not a deviation from the thread title?

1 Like

VGA is still heavily in use. I would not buy a machine that doesn't have a VGA port currently...

Hmmm, it is harder than I thought to explain the critical situation of information technology in Japan.

In my own experience, I have noticed it is difficult to explain most concepts.
Humans tend to listen with one ear and listen with the other perception, bias or assumption.
A very simplistic example:
"It's a very small door. I do not think you will fit."
"Are you saying I am fat?"
"What? No... I... that door is really tiny. I think only a child could fit through it."

Sometimes it can help to find a common element - perhaps an assumption both people share.

I have never been to Japan, myself. I am woefully ignorant about Japan, in general. I know Japan is known for animation and comics, technological progress, workforce and school pressures... and that is really about it.
If a Penguin could speak to me in clear and fluent English, we would not understand each other at all. I have no understanding of what life is like, swimming through exceptionally cold waters and catching fish with my beak. The life is nearly alien - it could as easily be another world.
With many of us lacking in understanding Life and concepts from a Japanese point of view, you may need to uhh... "dumb" it down for us.
And see if we can find common ground we do understand to build up from.

So let me tell you a little old story: Until the release of Windows 95, the Japanese PC market was monopolized by NEC. So what is NEC doing now? They are selling PCs that look exactly like Lenovo with the NEC logo to large companies and the government.

I am not following the story. What am I missing?

On January 27, 2011, NEC formed a joint venture with Chinese PC maker Lenovo, the fourth largest PC maker in the world. As part of the deal, the companies said in a statement they will establish a new company called Lenovo NEC Holdings B.V., which will be registered in the Netherlands. NEC will receive US$175 million from Lenovo through the issuance of Lenovo's shares. Lenovo, through a unit, will own a 51% stake in the joint venture, while NEC will hold a 49% stake.[44] In February 2011, Bloomberg News said the joint venture would allow Lenovo to expand in the field of servers, and NEC's Masato Yamamoto said NEC would be able to grow in China.[45]

Don't expect much from Wikipedia. I know that the Japanese version has become an authoritarian textbook, so I don't trust the articles written about Japan in the English version either.

I certainly see the resemblance.
I do not understand the significance.
Eagle Talon is a Mitsubishi Eclipse, too.

Wikipedia: here, at least, it is a good starting point. It is not wildly inaccurate or fraught with peril as some claim. Nor is it necessarily a good guided education, either.
It is as reliable as any basic synopsis. A stepping stone toward further learning. Admittedly, most of my examinations of Wikipedia fall under the Physics category, I am more inclined to carry a pinch of salt on the more social articles.

My point is that Japan's information technology is already in a critical situation after repeated isolation and collapse. Confining oneself to language and cultural barriers will eventually reach its limits, PC/ATs and smart phones are good examples.

Japan is the country where everything is expensive and the life there is very diffrent from another countries. The one is ok people trust the system. In Japan idk if long time ago exist yakuza. Propably Japan is amazing with also nature.

They have awesome history and culture also technology. They are diffrent focus on they country not share with another some ideas or stupidy rules EU.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.