Re-installation issues

It should be OK for Zorin Core, but I will ask a second opinion by @StarTreker @Aravisian @zabadabadoo

1 Like

Yeah, that was the problem, I would have continued trying to get it installed correctly if it wasn't for that issue.

1 Like

I am using Zorin OS 16 now:
CPU: Intel i3-4160 (4) @ 3.600GHz
GPU: Intel 4th Generation Core Processor
Memory: 2538MiB / 15440MiB

But I also did install XFCE on mine...

1 Like

You think 4GB is not enough for GNOME?

Depends on usage. Really, I think 4 gigs Ram is on the low side but still quite usable.
Those that have less than 4 gigs would have trouble.

1 Like

As you can see in this thread,
She was able to use her WiFi with Zorin 15,3.
But at one point, it stopped working.

I suspect kernel regression, but I am just guessing.

On that, I am stumped. I am not aware of any kernel updates recently on 15.3.
(Perhaps @Becky can chime in which kernel it was on when WIFI went out.)

Drivers either work or they do not work. They do not work and then just suddenly stop being drivers one day. Becky points out that the wifi still works on Windows, suggesting that rules out the hardware. I am not so sure on that. Sometimes hardware gives out slowly. A small part of the component dies... Not enough to kill it entirely but enough to stop it working in one setting, though it still seems to work in a different setting. I have seen the reverse, too. Where a dying piece of hardware seemed to work on Linux for a while when it didn't on Windows. Then it went out completely a couple months later.
You see this in cars, too.

It's funny how often something will stop making a noise or something... and the owner thinks It Fixed Itself. No... It doesn't work that way...

2 Likes

I see... well, I remember that my kernel version was 5.4.9 (not sure tho, maybe I could be wrong)

If 5.4 - then there was no regression. There were additions to the kernel up to 5.8. But nothing (or at least very little) was removed til after 5.10

2 Likes

I am bit surprised since I have never experienced a WiFi module failure for over 20 years since my first laptop.

1 Like

I have had it happen twice, but keep in mind that these were Shop Computers -in the heat and even dust...

2 Likes

Becky using her laptop in the kitchen? :smiling_imp:

Joke aside, I remember my acquaintance got exactly the same laptops for him and his wife. He travelled with it al lot and it failed much faster than his wife's that seldom move out of the house.

The condition of use certainly affect the life span of laptops. Come to think about of it, it is not a good idea to use it as a portable music player...

2 Likes

If it's a notebook... Clogged or dirty fan or fan going out... Can cause overheating and other hardware to start giving out.

Always monitor temps. I have a conky always on my desktop just for temps.

2 Likes

I clean inside of laptops every so often.
I bought this to stop buying expensive and environmentally unfriendly compressed air cans.
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01G1Z0RF0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I can confirm that 15,3 is with Kernel 5,4.
If there is no regression, then your speculation about hardware failure seems probable.

In that case, using another distro would not help.

1 Like

Oh no... so, what could I do now?

Option 1
Use USB WiFi dongle

Option 2
Replace internal WiFi module

2 Likes

Alright, first I'll go with another distro just in case, if the problem still remains, I will try option 1. Thank y'all very much!

2 Likes

Make sure to report back here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anyone asked Becky to do this?

sudo hwinfo --network --short

So we can find out what hardware the chipset is? Pity ifconfig command is not present in modern distros ... because net-tools is now needed ... and with no internet it ain't going to happen.

#There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza, Dear Liza, ...#

1 Like