Re-installation issues

Has anyone asked Becky to do this?

sudo hwinfo --network --short

So we can find out what hardware the chipset is? Pity ifconfig command is not present in modern distros ... because net-tools is now needed ... and with no internet it ain't going to happen.

#There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza, Dear Liza, ...#

1 Like

With only 4GB of RAM, I strongly recommend Zorin OS LITE.

I have Zorin OS PRO/Gnome installed on an old dual core machine, where I had upgraded the RAM to 8GB, and Zorin runs a bit slow on that machine, with only a dual core CPU, 8GB of RAM, and running on an integraded Intel HD GPU.

The great thing about LITE, is because its uses XFCE, it only needs like maybe 1GB of RAM out of the box to run. Which pretty much leaves 3GB of RAM left over, for your APPS.

Where as in PRO/CORE, which uses Gnome, will take all 4GB of that RAM, leaving nothing for APPS. Trust me, I know, I've seen it. Let me post a screenshot from my Zorin Star Labs machine running PRO.

Here it is consuming 2.9GB of RAM after only running for a few minutes.

I've seen it consume up to 3.7GB before on this machine.

In other words, Gnome wouldn't be the best fit for your machine. I strongly recommend LITE/XFCE.

Hey guys! Becky reporting back here...
The problem still remained even on Linux Mint, but I got a Wi-Fi dongle my dad had, and it seems to work perfectly without any driver installation needed!
Thank you all for the help again, maybe some day I'll come back to Zorin haha!

I'll be seeing you all soon.

2 Likes

Ah, so @Aravisian was right.
It was indeed a hardware failure.

With the amount of RAM you have, you might want to check out Zorin 16 Lite when it is released.

1 Like

Yes of course I will give it a try when it comes out! I'm pretty excited for it hehe.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.