Realtek RTL8821AE

should i install it

Yes it's a driver for your card. Try and see if it works.

That driver is universal and should work on your card as well.

2 Likes

Up to now its working I will report back if connection drops at some point to see if anyone else has any other suggestions how we can stop that happening

1 Like

My connection dropped I'm not sure what else could try to stop it dropping out it never used do it on windows but I was getting sick of windows so took the opportunity to try out new OS

If all fails, here is another solution.
All of them were tested by me personally.

2 Likes

Have you disabled power management yet?

CTRL ALT T to enter terminal.

xset -dpms

Please reboot after you have finished running these commands, then report back after you have run the OS for awhile. Hope this helps fix the issue.

3 Likes

Good point, since he is able to connect, but then it later drops. The power manager may be killing the net process.

3 Likes

Never realize realtek have this problem with Linux. Hahahah I'm using one though whenever I feel the internet not working, I just reconnecting it since after that it went back to normal and isn't as frequent as the OP.

1 Like

My laptop has a Realtek too, never have issues with it ?.

Realtek is the most common netowrk card. I also have only ever had Realtek and never had issues. But... It really depends on which Realtek card. Some cards are better supported than others. Most are well supported.

I think this has resolved it thank you all for helping a newbie out

Hello CJ!

I am super glad to hear that. If you don't mind, since my post was the resolution, please go to this post and mark it as solved, thank you...

Actually Realtek is NOT a problem.
Newer chipsets which are not yet supported in kernel level is a problem.

That is why almost all older 150 bps WiFi modules are supported OOB in Linux, while anything faster than 300 bps requires users to install drivers manually for them with a few exceptions.

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: A possible Unofficial Manual?

i don't suppose you guys know why my connectivity goes limited and the red is just where I've turned wifi off and on again

Click Zorin :zorin: logo bottom of screen, click on settings. Go to network tab, click the config icon.

Make sure you don't have this option checked.

If this is checked, it will treat the connection as a metered connection, and could be what is doing the limiting. This is the only thing that I know of, that could be causing this.

Also, another thing...

Have you disabled power management yet?

CTRL ALT T to enter terminal.

xset -dpms

Disabling that, will allow your WIFI adapter to push to full performance.

Screenshot from 2021-11-19 12-05-47

Power management is off
And don't have metered connection

Hardware failure is a possibility...
Not saying it is likely, but possible.
Some other possible fixes:

2 Likes

could these have something to do with my current problem if so how do i install them

Edit: figured out how to do it

2 Likes

Not sure what I'd done wrong before but I decided to do a fresh install of zorin and my network is all fine and not going limited so happy days :grin:

3 Likes