Recommendations for Windows PCs compatible with Zorin OS install

Check System76, Framework for linux specific laptops, Dell and HP have Ubuntu Certified laptops as well, all of these will be geared towards linux and should work flawlessly with ZorinOS

If I had to buy another laptop today I think I would most likely go for a Framework laptop. I love the design and philosophy of the company.

The only reason I didn't mentioned it is because it's not made specifically for Linux, which usually is fine for most of the cases, but watching some reviews online I found that there are still some issues with it. Still, I would probably use it with Windows as my secondary machine for certain Windows-specific software or games, until I can safely upgrade to Linux. Starting with Zorin of course :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My ZorinOS/XP laptop is circa 2007 vintage and currently has Z15.3 Core running as stable as a stable thing, after some initial battles with sound. I would give it a go, maybe throw some extra RAM at it if it works.

1 Like

No issues with my Acer Predator G9-793 laptop. Did a few upgrades on the laptop. Increased ram from 16 to 32gb and i removed the hdd for a ssd. I changed the nvme card for a faster one and i added a new sata m2 ssd. Total 4tb ssd in my rig.

1 Like

I am looking at the Lenovo Ideapad3/i….anybody have any experience with same?

As well as:

Personally, I will always avoid Lenovo.

Also, Ideapad seems to be a frequent guest for troubleshooting on the forum.

3 Likes

Ohh nooo…thanks for the feedback

Asus Vivobook…..

I have read the opposite...

Zorin and Zenbook

1 Like

Sometimes it is hit or miss on laptops. Issues could be related to BIOS version, GPU, kernal, etc. Who knows?

1 Like

This is a great guide….thanks

1 Like

I'm normally a "latest & greatest" guy, at least when it comes to Apple hardware. Yesterday I tried to boot zorinOS on a 10 (!!) years old Apple Macbook Air, and....:

... it runs smooth and without very less hassle. I have to say I'm impressed, it's a modell even Apple is not providing the newest macOS any longer.

I write this here on a 5 yo Asus Pro (and start of it's production it was the slimmest and lightweighed notebook of it's time with an screen ratio even modern hardware can hardly get to.

So, in conclusion, and not only responding to the TOs question: in this special enviroment of mostly FOSS, the latest and greatest hardware "might" cause more headaches than a saturated and older hardware, where every problem has been solved from someone around the world before.

2 Likes

Well….folks….I took a chance and went the way of an Asus Vivobook.

In a few weeks I will have an opportunity to test install 16.2 Pro.

Keep you guys in the loop!

5 Likes

Ok guys…now i have a big problem…zorin installed fine.

When I tried to copy my old data files onto the new machine…right after in crashed….and now the machine is not seeing the SSD.

I have an image of the drive, but the machine is not seeing it at all!1

I recently installed Zorin OS on an old Fujitsu laptop, but it didn't boot and shutdown properly. Looking into the BIOS, it has its own bootloader, which I suspect is the cause of the problem.

Installing a Linux OS on a laptop seems to be more difficult than on a desktop. I have experienced various troubles. This is probably because laptop hardware is not as versatile as desktop one. Laptops from non-Japanese manufacturers often do not have keyboards suitable for Japanese input, so I have limited options. :cry:

Don't 100Yen shops stock cheap Japanese language USB keyboards that you could plug into laptop? :thinking:

I don't want to carry more stuff to use a laptop.

1 Like

I see it uses a PCIe SSD (NVMe?). If possible, I would have swapped that for a SATA M.2 SSD which is what I did on an old Dell Latitude E6500. NVMe SSD's can be notorious at cascading (= not working!).

I always buy my laptops second hand.
Now on a Dell E6510 - 8 Gb 2 x 500Gb SSD - disks refurbished and upgraded all didn't cost me 120€ or $ in total. I buy all my new parts (such as a cooling fan, BIOS battery ) on AliExpress.
This laptop is now 3 years in use, now running Zorin Core 16.2 on kernel 6.0.9 , flawless.... productivity is maximum. 9 hours a day 7/7 working .... (use it as well for free times)
A Dell E6500 I bought for 30€ --upgraded, new battery and all -- 95€ running Ubuntu as backup for my work. Also 7/7 working for 5 years now.
You can buy golden laptops for a nickle and a dime.