Recommendations for Windows PCs compatible with Zorin OS install

I'm normally a "latest & greatest" guy, at least when it comes to Apple hardware. Yesterday I tried to boot zorinOS on a 10 (!!) years old Apple Macbook Air, and....:

... it runs smooth and without very less hassle. I have to say I'm impressed, it's a modell even Apple is not providing the newest macOS any longer.

I write this here on a 5 yo Asus Pro (and start of it's production it was the slimmest and lightweighed notebook of it's time with an screen ratio even modern hardware can hardly get to.

So, in conclusion, and not only responding to the TOs question: in this special enviroment of mostly FOSS, the latest and greatest hardware "might" cause more headaches than a saturated and older hardware, where every problem has been solved from someone around the world before.

2 Likes

Well….folks….I took a chance and went the way of an Asus Vivobook.

In a few weeks I will have an opportunity to test install 16.2 Pro.

Keep you guys in the loop!

5 Likes

Ok guys…now i have a big problem…zorin installed fine.

When I tried to copy my old data files onto the new machine…right after in crashed….and now the machine is not seeing the SSD.

I have an image of the drive, but the machine is not seeing it at all!1

I recently installed Zorin OS on an old Fujitsu laptop, but it didn't boot and shutdown properly. Looking into the BIOS, it has its own bootloader, which I suspect is the cause of the problem.

Installing a Linux OS on a laptop seems to be more difficult than on a desktop. I have experienced various troubles. This is probably because laptop hardware is not as versatile as desktop one. Laptops from non-Japanese manufacturers often do not have keyboards suitable for Japanese input, so I have limited options. :cry:

Don't 100Yen shops stock cheap Japanese language USB keyboards that you could plug into laptop? :thinking:

I don't want to carry more stuff to use a laptop.

1 Like

I see it uses a PCIe SSD (NVMe?). If possible, I would have swapped that for a SATA M.2 SSD which is what I did on an old Dell Latitude E6500. NVMe SSD's can be notorious at cascading (= not working!).

I always buy my laptops second hand.
Now on a Dell E6510 - 8 Gb 2 x 500Gb SSD - disks refurbished and upgraded all didn't cost me 120€ or $ in total. I buy all my new parts (such as a cooling fan, BIOS battery ) on AliExpress.
This laptop is now 3 years in use, now running Zorin Core 16.2 on kernel 6.0.9 , flawless.... productivity is maximum. 9 hours a day 7/7 working .... (use it as well for free times)
A Dell E6500 I bought for 30€ --upgraded, new battery and all -- 95€ running Ubuntu as backup for my work. Also 7/7 working for 5 years now.
You can buy golden laptops for a nickle and a dime.

I don’t have any trouble using linux on my laptop (acer predator g9)

I have a intel 7700hq, 32gb of ram, 4tb ssd and a nvidia gtx 1070 8gb card.

Me too. Maybe I'm struggling because I bought a too old machine.

Normally Intel integrated graphics and CPU works as the code is in the kernel. I have a 11th gen i7 or i9 core with 8 gigabytes of RAM does the job for my podcasting and editing needs? I could go higher end but that was just unnecessary at the time.

If you don't want to go the tried and tested route I would say do a little bit of research to find out if it will work nowadays anything but the latest and greatest NVIDIA drivers should work.

I don't know about AMD however, as I have sort of given up on team red for a while last time I used an AMD graphics card. It seemed to work though, but that was with arch if I remember correctly.

AMD Drivers are now baked into the kernel, and work really well in my experience both with my 580x and 6800xt. That is because AMD opened their drivers up.

1 Like

AMD drivers work fine with Ryzen 5 2400G. Thanks to that my PC can still keep working.

I can affirm that Zorin Core OS 16.2-r1 and ZFS file system works well on a HP 17-cp1035cl laptop with AMD Ryzen 5625U processor, Radeon Renoir graphics, Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter, Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor and touch screen. This is with TPM disabled and SecureBoot enabled.

Great to see, nothing like having to use proprietary drivers :joy:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.