Reference Managers (Zotero, Mendeley, Sciwheel...)

Good morning ladies and gentlemen,
Seems like the majority of people here work on something related to tech and/or computers. I don't know if some of you work on scientific research, but if there is, I'd like to know which reference manager you use.
I used to use Mendeley, but Mendeley Cite (their most useful tool for me) doesn't work on LibreOffice and that's been a problem for me. I was thinking about moving to Zotero, but I don't know if its worth it. Do you guys know a way to make Mendeley Cite work? Would you reccomend Zotero as a reference manager?
Thank you for reading this far, love you all

1 Like

Hello, glhrmlz
Not sure what a reference manager is...
So I checked it in google just out of curiosity...
Here is something that I think might help you:
www.mendeley.com/guides/using-citation-editor/
This plugin seems to work in LibreOffice.

Thanks for the reply @Elegant_Emperor, but this plugin no longer work on LibreOffice. I tried it yesterday, and the option "Install LibreOffice plugin" no longer exists. If you search further on the web, you'll find that Mendeley no longer supports LibreOffice.

Oh. I didn't know that...Meanwhile, I will also try to find something that works for you

1 Like

@glhrmlz Question: Are you using LibreOffice that came with ZorinOS or have you downloaded a different version from Snap or AppImage?

The one that came with Zorin OS

1 Like

I asked in case 'sandboxed' Snap version was somehow isolated from receiving add-on's/plug-ins.

1 Like

That's not the case. The problem is that Mendeley no longer supports LibreOffice. I used Mendeley Cite to write the bibliography in my papers, but it doesn't work. I'll try to use the plugin in MS Word online, it might work and then solve my problem. But thanks for all the answers and for trying to help

I do not use LibreOffice but OnlyOffice because of its better compatibility with MS Office.
It looks like OnlyOffice has this plug-in you need for your paper:

3 Likes

My vote goes to SoftMaker Office - not sure if the free version (FreeOffice) allows integration, but during working from home I used TextMaker 2021 extensively and is the most compatible for colleagues that were stuck with the inferior MS Word 2019/Office 365. It supports Zotero.

2 Likes

Ok,
I found a way to solve this problem...

• Make sure you have Mendeley as well as LibreOffice installed. I installed Mendeley from the software store and LibreOffice was pre-installed.

• Now you need to locate where the plugin is located. In order to do that, open the terminal and run:

sudo find / -name "openOfficePlugin"

This is what I got

/var/lib/flatpak/app/com.elsevier.MendeleyDesktop/x86_64/stable/745fb953750ed93d1b6414e32fedda924cf0930a4206159f09de69c0f9342499/files/extra/share/mendeleydesktop/openOfficePlugin

• Navigate to this location and copy the openOfficePlugin folder and paste it anywhere that is accessible.
  • Now open LibreOffice Writer and go to -> Extensions -> Extension Manager.
  • Click on 'Add' and navigate to the place where you pasted the "openOfficePlugin" folder and then select it.
  • After the plugin is added you will need to restart libreoffice writer.
  • After restarting LibreOffice Writer check if the plugin works the way you want it to.
    (I wrote the last step because I am not quite sure how the plugin is supposed to work and so I did not test it).

Since, I was able to add this plugin, I think Mendeley does support LibreOffice and that the option to install the plugin is missing because of a bug.

2 Likes

There are two options for Zotero add-ins for LibreOffice:

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/?q=zotero

2 Likes

@Elegant_Emperor you just saved me. Your tutorial worked and the extension is working just like I need it to. I don't know why, but I can't mark your reply as the solution, but it is. Thanks for your effort and for your priceless help

3 Likes

Marked as solution for you.

The reason why it would not allow it; The thread was placed into the category Chat about Zorin instead of one of the Helpdesk categories. I moved the thread to General Help, enabling the Solution option.

2 Likes

That makes sense! Thank you @Aravisian !!

2 Likes

I am glad that it worked for you. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.