Hi everyone, I’m using Zorin OS on a Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 14ARP10, and I’ve run into a very strange issue with the physical Copilot key on the keyboard.
I’m trying to remap this key to Left Ctrl, but I’ve discovered that the key does not behave like a normal keyboard key under Linux.
Here’s what I’ve tested so far:
evtest → no event at all when pressing the Copilot key
xev → no keypress event
acpi_listen → no ACPI/WMI event
udevadm monitor → no udev activity
keyd / kmonad / hwdb → cannot detect or remap the key
The key does not appear in /dev/input/event*
It does not send a scancode, keycode, or ACPI interrupt
It seems that on this specific Lenovo model, the Copilot key is implemented as a firmware-level Windows-only hotkey, and Linux never receives any input event from it.
Before I give up completely — Has anyone with a Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 (or similar Ideapad models) managed to get the Copilot key to generate any detectable event under Linux?
If someone has:
a kernel patch
a WMI driver workaround
a firmware setting
or any method to expose this key to Linux as an input event
You could try Input Remapper. You can install it in Software Center or with the Terminal Command sudo apt install input-remapper or You can download the latest Version from the Github Page:
I used this in my search as Zorin is based on Ubuntu 24.04:
"Remapping the Copilot Key on Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 14ARP10 — No Events Detected (Help Needed) on Ubuntu 24.04"
Brave A.I. search via Mojeek gives:
" Remapping the Copilot key on a Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 14ARP10 running Ubuntu 24.04 is often impossible because the key is implemented as a firmware-level Windows-only hotkey that does not send any input events to the Linux kernel.
If the key is not detected by standard tools like evtest or xev , it is physically disconnected from the Linux input subsystem. In this specific scenario, standard remapping software such as keyd or evsieve will fail because there are no scan codes to intercept.
Verification : Run sudo evtest or cat /dev/input/event* and press the Copilot key; if no output appears, the hardware does not communicate with Ubuntu.
Alternative : If the key does register as a combination (typically LeftShift + LeftMeta + F23 ), you can remap it using keyd with the configuration f23+leftshift+leftmeta = M-t (or your desired shortcut).
Conclusion : If no events are detected, the key cannot be remapped on Ubuntu for this specific Lenovo model, as the function is hard-coded in the Windows-only firmware.