Remove apps from showing up in system update

Same as the header. Firefox is already well known for its annoying updates. However I am not using it and don't wish to update it. However it has started to show up in my system update dialogue

I want to remove firefox (and VS code) from showing up in my lists like this. I'll update them manually if and when I need to.

The only options I know of are to set the updater to Security Updates only... or turn it off entirely.

These settings can be found in Software & Updates.
With Firefox, you can remove the Language packs using Synaptic Package manager to put a halt to the incessant FF Language pack updates.
If you do not use FF at all, you could also just remove it.

Screenshot from 2021-09-03 12-52-42

I have already disabled all types of checking but the os doesn't seem to care

I feel your pain. I really do.
Looking at your screenshot, I also see "Snap package updates are checked routinely and installed automatically." How nice. So, in addition to Gnome Software Updater ignoring your preferences... It also notes that where Snap is concerned, you don't even get to state your preferences to have them ignored.

Maybe it is because it is now 2:35 am. And been a tough day. Maybe it's just me.

• Gnome-software: Buggy. Barely works. Constantly needs to be fixed. Complaints about it are all over the web.
  • Gnome-extensions: Conflict, crash, freeze, cause conflicts with other gnome packages for no apparent reason and must be reinstalled. They corrupt out of the blue and the only reason that they exist at all is because Gnome keeps removing essential features.
  • Software & Updates: Directly integrated into Gnome-Software and just as glitchy.
  • GDM3: Corrupts out of the blue. Has to be reinstalled repeatedly. Allows little in the way of user configuration. Hard to navigate, details are hidden including the Gear Icon to change the desktop at login. On this forum I must constantly help people try to find the thing. So integrated in, that any issue with it breaks multiple essential services.

Don't even get me started on Gnome trying to pull out of the Gnu General License in order to assert more control over the user without the Gnu License inhibiting them. Much less that is going to get much worse with Gnome 40 (gtk4) since that removes a lot of essential classes from the toolkit, undercutting everyone that uses the gtk toolkit, for the primary reason of asserting Gnome Dominance over all other desktop environments.
Microsoft is less controlling and domineering than Gnome.

And somehow... Gnome is the Most used Desktop Environment on Linux. Its tendrils are into everything...
The problem you are having is Gnome. Gnome is asserting its control.

And the only fix I know of is to disable Gnome Software Updater.

I apologize... I am past it... the diplomacy and trying to walk on eggshells about GNOME. The only fix for all of the Problems with Gnome is for everyone to Stop Using It.

I'm out for the night.

3 Likes

You can find Firefox in gnome-software by using the search function, then clicking on the result and selecting remove if you want to remove it.
You are right; it does not show up properly (Without searching it out) if it is currently installed... By .deb package.

The reason why is furtherance of Canonical breaking its word that it would not replace .deb with Snap packages. You can see Firefox in the Software Store as a Snap package if Firefox is not installed as a .deb. And you will only see it as a Snap.

This is currently listed in a bug report (I'd have to search it up and find it) as a 'bug'...

Yea, I don't get snaps. Look at the screenshot. What does this even mean ? Download size 81 MB and and installed size is a whooping 1.7 GB. And this is the case with every app I open. I just ended up downloading debian packages or installing with 'apt' via command line

Because as I have mentioned, its not just firefox, it's VS code as well and that I do use on a regular basis. And by the looks of it, the list will grow every few days. I just don't want this software update window popping up and telling me on every boot

A minor point: I use Firefox browser and I also use VS code. I have my updater set to normal updates. And I only get a pop up notifying me of updates around once a week or so.

2 Likes

I am a bit more proactive when it comes to software updater. I don't wait for pop-ups, I fire up software updater manually after boot and deal with any updates before moving on. That way you don't get pop-ups during the rest of the session and you also reassured that your OS and apps are up-to-date with latest security patches from start of play.

2 Likes

@Aravisian what was that apt command you used in the other thread to mark an installation from updates? Wouldn't that apply to the updater app also?

1 Like

That is sudo apt-mark hold (package-name)
So, in this case, sudo apt-mark hold firefox and sudo apt-mark hold vscode
The problem is, the O.P. stated that he wants to update them, but on his own time, without being notified. The apt-mark hold would block them updating entirely.

1 Like

I didn't know that systems did that. I only got the notification once and that was it for that session. But it seems that I should leave my old means behind. I ran away from updates with prejudice (on windows). I'd update things only when absolutely needed. Anyway thanks for your input.

This may be the closest to the solution I want. Thanks. But I feel like I should start updating things when they are made available

I sometimes pop apt list -u and look at what wants some love, then sudo apt upgrade into a terminal as soon as I log in.
What I like about the terminal is how fast and easy it is. Let's say I look at the upgradable list and I don't want to update package "doofensmurtz". I can apt-mark hold it, then run apt upgrade, then apt-mark unhold doofensmurtz and I'm on my way again within seconds.
I mean... If people can go on and on in Yahoo Messenger for days at a time, they can chat for two seconds with a terminal, right?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.