Remove desktop icon text

I'm trying to remove the text from underneath the icons on the desktop. I want the icons themselves visible, just not the labels ("Spotify" "Trash" etc.) I know how to do this on windows, but I'd like to have the same effect on Zorin OS Core if possible.
Example of what I mean from my Windows 10 machine

The Desktop Icons are provided on Zorin OS Core by a gnome-shell-extension. I am not aware of any GUI setting that will do what you are asking.

But... you can achieve what you are asking with a small modification to one file.
Elevate to Root by opening a terminal and running

sudo -i

Now, in that terminal, launch the Nautilus File Manager

nautilus

In the left pane, select "Other locations". In the right pane, select "Computer".
Now you are in root. Navigate to /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/zorin-desktop-icons
In that folder, right click stylesheet.css and select to open it in Text Editor.

You will see:

.file-label {
    text-shadow: 0px 1.5px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.85);
    color: white;
    font-weight: 600;
}

label.file-label:backdrop {
    font-weight: 600;
}

Change the line for font-weight: 600; to font-size: 0px;
It will then look like:

.file-label {
    font-size: 0px;
}

label.file-label:backdrop {
    font-size: 0px;
}

Save the file. Close the file, the file manager and in the terminal, type exit and then close it.
Log out and back in or reboot to see the change. Or, end the desktop-icons extensions process then restart it to see the change.

5 Likes

I'll try this later today, thanks for the response

@Aravisian I just came here to post exactly this remembering you telling me this once. Thanks for being awesome and quick with your response.

1 Like

I wish that I had remembered it as well as you had. I could have linked to that existing post instead of doing all that typing...

2 Likes

This worked! Thanks for the help

2 Likes