Requesting help with a Ryzen 5 3400g graphics corruption issue

Hi, I was using a amd ryzen 5 3400G APU and it worked fine, till an update in December / Januarysh, after that I am unable to watch any youtube video, and also some sites without getting major graphic artefacts, that just become larger colourful triangles, all over the video, and the entire interface, it happens couple seconds into playing a video, or minutes... I read somewhere that the IOMMU is the issue, but I cant seem tot access it via the bios.. one suggestion was to modify the grub, based on this site: Graphics glitches and artifacts with Ryzen 5 3400G APU - Ask Ubuntu
they suggest making changes to this part:
"quiet splash iommu=pt"

How do I do that exactly? New to this OS, could use some guidance, step by step ...

Thank you!

You can edit the default parameters in grub by opening a terminal and running

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Use the arrow key to move the cursor to the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
and add your parameter separated with a space so the new line is
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash iommu=pt"
Hit ctrl+x to exit, hit the y key to say yes to save, then hit the enter key to save as current file.
The terminal should revert to normal.
Now, update grub

sudo update-grub

1 Like

Aravisian, thank you very much for the assistance! The "Ctrl+X" was the main issue I had to figure out here, as I had no idea how to "save" the modified parameter, looks like this "fix" helped with the issue, I just watched 2 5 minute videos on YT and had no crash like I used to before, after seconds of watching videos. I saw someone else having these issues on this forum as well, and shall mention it to them also.

Thank you again for taking the time to help out! ...been at it now for 2 months, constantly shutting down the browser, to get it to a somewhat normal functionality...and almost gave up on searching for solutions...

Thank you!

You actually provided the solution, I just provided the "how".

1 Like

Teamwork :slight_smile:

1 Like

Makes the dream work :stars:

2 Likes

Nice rhyme :wink:

1 Like