Rescuezilla has identical i/o errors with multiple USB drives

Dear JimH, perhaps my suggestion comes a bit late.
But if I'm right, are you trying to create a backup/imaging the internal NVME SSD?

If this is so perhaps you can use the disk app that's comes along with Zorin, it also provides the option to image the drive or a partition.

1 Like

It should work.
The only disadvantage is that Disk will make a bit-for-bit copy (like dd) and you need the same size (or larger) backup drive even the original drive is used partially.

Clonezilla/Rescuezilla only copy the used portion of the disk and compress it very efficiently on the fly.

If I'm correct he's trying to image a 1TB drive to a 2TB

That is something that might be possible to accomplish with the disks app.

1 Like

Ah, OK. I missed that part.
Yes, it should work.
One more disadvantage is that the operation will take longer than Clonezilla/Rescuezilla since the empty block is also copied instead of ignored.

1 Like

BTW if that doesn't work it is possible to boot rescuezilla straight from the hard disk.

I just downloaded the rescuezilla "hirsute" version and booted it from my HD (so not usb!!!). All my partitions are visible so imaging won't be a problem. It's just an alternative, if his usb's don't work.

2 Likes

FrenchPress, I guess you know rescuezilla app pretty well.

I have installed rescuezilla as an app using the deb file form github.
As mentioned on github, you have to modify the /etc/modules file and add the text "nbd" (without the quotes) to the file and reboot, to make it run properly.

Did all this and now I am able to run rescuezilla within Zorin as an app. Haven't tried it or don't know if this is the right option though, because I don't have any partition to backup or image - yet.

(BTW, see the printscreen, I'm missing the png for the partitions in the rescuezilla app)

1 Like

Thank-you, dasjdoom. I was unaware that Disks had this capability. This may be what I do. You are right. I am trying to image my NVME SSD ... the system disk with several partitions. I see that it will also check the SSD.

Actually I myself use Clonezilla exclusively.
Rescuezilla is for my family members who are not very comfortable with CLI.

1 Like

But wait up, read the comment of FrenchPress. I do agree with her perhaps imaging the "used" part the partition is better than the whole.

So perhaps rescuezilla might be the better option, if you just wanna backup only the used part.

1 Like

dasjdoom, I responded to part of your post before I saw the rest of it. I will be trying to make Rescuezilla run from my internal drive within ZorinOS.

1 Like

You have 3 options now. Backup with the disks app from ZorinOS (but like Frenchpress mentioned, the whole partition gets saved), run the rescuezilla iso directly from your HD or install the deb file and use the rescuzilla application.

1 Like

Success! I thought the person suggesting that a memory stick wouldn't work with Rescuezilla was referring to the target device. Maybe he was talking about the boot device. Anyway, I used balenaEtcher to turn one of my 2T USB hard drives into a Rescuezilla boot device. After booting from this device, I was able to do a full image of my NVMe system device. All of the provided utilities ran correctly, as well. Thanks to all who contributed to this effort. Now, I have to decide what to use as a Rescuezilla boot device since I cannot dedicate a 2T hard disk to this purpose and USB Sticks do not work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.