Resizing partitions

That's one to add to the toolbox. Thank you Derek.

1 Like

I have got a similar issue, and wondering the best way to approach it.

When running Software Updater I get the an error:

'Not enough free disk space. The upgrade needs a total of 235 M fre space on disk '/boot'

I know I need to boot into a Live Gparted USB and resize the partitions from there. Just want to be absolutely sure I am doing it right

A Single disk with Windows 10 and Zorin 16. The first 4 partitions are Windows and then I have the Zorin partitions, in this order: /boot, / and /home. Home is mostly free.

I was planning to boot into a Live Gparted and do these steps:

1. Resize Home
  2. Move root forward so that the free space is then between boot and root
  3. Expand boot to incclude the free space.

Does this sound right ? Is there anything I should be careful of ? For example, I shouldn't move partitions beyond a 'barrier'?

Thanks

It does. Sounds like you are well on track. You clearly already know that partitions must be unmounted and that you can only move within adjacent partitions.

Thanks for that.

No restrictions about moving key partitions beyond a specific point ?

Other than the space available, I have never run into one.

Efi partitions are notorious for not allowing resizing. You can attempt this but be forewarned... you may have to reinstall grub and hopefully things will work out. Make sure to give yourself at least 500mb if not a little more. This can happen if you use the windows efi which for some reason tends to be about 100mb plus or minus 20mb.

Marked solution. 250

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.