Resizing Windows is Kind of Hard [Zorin OS Lite]

Hi. When I try to make a window bigger or smaller in Zorin OS Lite, it's hard because I have to be very precise with where I put the mouse cursor on the edge of the window.

If Zorin OS Lite could be more lenient on resizing a window, please, that'd be nice.

Thanks,
Stanley.

P.S. I don't know how to make a good gif (it turned out very low quality, and much larger file size) so here's a dropbox link instead:

EDIT: Looks like the video can't be viewed here. How can I make a decent quality gif out of an mp4 video recording? The video's only 10 seconds. But maybe a video isn't needed to understand the feedback here.

1 Like

Zorin Lite uses XFCE desktop environment and the XF Window manager determines the space available to grab the edge to drag / resize based on the Size of the Border in the theme.
In gtk, you can have a margin that is sized larger than the image in the theme. So, in gtk, if you have a 1px border and a 10px margin, you will have 10px of space available to grab even with only a 1px visible line.
But in XFCE, if you have a 1px border, then 1px is all you have available to grab for resize.

The most straightforward solution is to switch to a theme with larger borders.
Alternatively, a theme can be modified so that the border is larger.

1 Like

Thanks. I didn't know that. I'll look into that.

• Stanley.

I opened Window Manager and changed the theme to "Default-xhdpi", and it seems to be more lenient. Thanks.

1 Like

You can also do a web search to look for other custom themes. :slight_smile:

How about making the windows smaller than what seems to be a pre-defined stopping point? I installed sublime text yesterday and it seemed to resolve the issue. However when I used the Zorin OS Lite today, same environment, the screenshot below is the smallest width that I can scale any text editor to. I prefer to have a very narrow window for reviewing text for data entry on a single monitor.
Just set this computer up to use in an alternate location and would really like to keep this distro! :slight_smile:

Is there a file that I could edit somewhere that would define something like "max-width" for application windows? Just a FYI, I was able to get a program called "from scratch" to resize to a smaller width. It seems to have a window snapping type of feature when I use it as well.

So I guess that my problem is resolved. The app is a little poky compared to the others though.

The csd drawn apps, like Gedit you posted a screenshot of, are comprised of more than just a Window size. The containers within for boxes, controls, toggle buttons... Those all have a defined width.
If using Zorin OS LITE (15), you can use Mousepad, Pluma or Xed, all of which can get pretty narrow on my system, no matter which theme i use.
I personally avoid Gedit, as I find it clunky and the forks Xed and Pluma are much more user friendly.

If you like, I can post a css snippet that you can paste into ~.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css that MAY help you narrow down gedit a bit.

Try installing Window Manager Tweaks for XFCE it maybe able to increase the border sizes. What I do is setup so I can hold alt key and then resize with the right mouse button anywhere inside the window is great. This way I only have to aim for say that lower right quarter of the window then drag. I also setup alt-left drag to move any window from its content pane.

I have failed to fix this too by the way. Maybe try dconf-editor? I just used it to change "resize threshold" from 24 to 48 and now 72 (pixels?). Not sure if it did anything but I will logout and login now to check... I really wish I could do what I do with Plasma: alt and right mouse drag to resize from anywhere in the panel.

You can:

Alt-F8!! I gave up trying to figure it out and am now using the default keyboard shortcut to resize a window. Alt-F8 does not always work. Enough to make me want to go back to Kubuntu where I'm fairly certain I could resize any window no matter how model from any part of it's pane.

Thanks @Aravisian I will go now and take a look at your link. It is with great hope and expectation that I embark....

@Aravisian sadly, this link is of no use. It simply states that an alt right mouse drag will work, when on this fresh install of Zorin OS 16 core 64-bit that is not the case. Perhaps do I need to install xfce? I am running with whatever wm / dm that Zorin ships with. I think it maybe a modified version of xfce. Hopefully, that means this is still possible. Not quite sure where I would check to see if this is enabled. I do have dconf editor installed and happy to use that if required.
PS are you running Zorin by the way? How come it works for you not me then?

I am sorry, I misunderstood you somewhere along the way. I thought we were talking about XFCE desktop.
Zorin OS 16 Core comes with Gnome Desktop and that shortcut does not work on Gnome. Gnome uses CSD and does not use window borders or a full window manager as XFCE does.
Zorin OS 15.3 Lite (released) comes with XFCE and Zorin OS 16 Lite and Zorin OS 16 Pro Lite will ship with XFCE upon release (Currently in development).

Because I installed XFCE4 on Zorin OS 16 core. :wink:

sudo apt install xfce4

sudo apt install numlockx

You will need to add numlockx to your start up programs.

If you want the Zorin Menu (I use WhiskerMenu)

sudo apt install xfce4-zorimenulite-plugin

If you want xfce 4.16 instead of 4.14, you will first need to add the xubuntu-staging repository.

I've discovered two out of the four "layouts" in Zorin Appearance maybe the cause of this, as I have set mine to show a more old-school windows menu (layouts 1 and 2).

After installing Gnome Tweaks I can enable [alt][right click] resize, although not from maximised windows like I recall on KDE. Good enough for me. Maybe I will try xfce at some stage. It is a pity that the makers of Zorin appear to have tried to conceal which window manager is in use it feels like.

The OP should try gnome-tweaks.

1 Like

Thanks so much! I'm the OP and I love this!