Reversing headphone audio

Is there a way to make it so that sound that currently plays out of the right ear of my headphone will play out of the left, and vice versa?

Are those Mac Style Speakers?

:crazy_face:

<Runs

2 Likes

Is your sound output reverse wired?

I used to have a cheap mini-tower chassis with such reverse wiring problem. To compensate that, I flipped the position of my speakers. But I think it would not be easy for headsets which always have a sidedness.

1 Like

turn your headphones around :grin:

works on mine

4 Likes

It depends on the design.
My inexpensive on the ear headsets do not have any sidedness but my professional studio monitor headsets clearly have sidedness.

2 Likes

I only use my 24.99 wireless set on my laptop and it works fine for my needs. My Sennheiser (500.00) I only use in recording our material. I assumed that others did the same . Ouch

1 Like

Does it have sidedness?

1 Like

they feel weird when turned backwards. plus the mic is not where its use to on me

2 Likes

Exactly.
I think those expensive ones are designed to give a good fit.

Since OP did not answer my question, we still do not know why he/she needs to flip left and right channels.

There might be some application to do such thing but I do not know.
I just hope OP's headsets are one of those inexpensive no-sidedness kind.

2 Likes

You could buy a cheap headphone extender lead and cross-patch the left and right wires. It may involve using a soldering iron to do a proper job. I don't think you will find a commercially available cross-over cable.

I am not sure if you can swap left and right in software.
Edit: I found this:
https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-how-can-you-reverse-left-and-right-speakers-from-a-control-panel/

1 Like

The link didn't work : /

I suppose so, either that or I have my headphones backwards - either way, I don't want to turn them around.

(I'm neither a he nor a she, by the way. :stuck_out_tongue: )

It is working for me.

1 Like

My bad, I meant the solution in the link.

There is no link to follow.

Open

/etc/pulse/default.pa

Then edit lines

load-module module-remap-sink sink_name=reverse-stereo master=0 channels=2 master_channel_map=front-right,front-left channel_map=front-left,front-right
set-default-sink reverse-stereo

Restart Pulse

pulseaudio -k
pulseaudio --start

(I just copied an instructin on that page. I did not try it myself.)

I'm saying I followed those directions and they didn't work...

First you said:
The link didn't work : /

Second you said:
My bad, I meant the solution in the link.

So I thought you somehow misunderstood that there is a link to follow.

Then the only option I could think of is the physical solution @zabadabadoo gave above.

You can either do it yourself or might be able ask some family member who is handy with soldering iron?
Since I am the only person who can solder in my husband's whole family, my craft room is always have some repair jobs lying around.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.