Root has Low Disk Space

It is, and it's referring to issues with the boot, it will attempt to remount and boot again.

It looks fine. Take note of the uuid, and compare to the disks partition in disks. If you place a label on them, it will show in the fstab, making it easier to identify the different partitions and what they are for.

Check that partition 6 is the root partition by the uuid, will be listed in the details of the partition. If it is, the instructions i have earlier to include the free space after that partition in the system partition will work for you.

You say: (Take note of the uuid, and compare to the disks partition in disks.) Does this mean to open "DISKS app and compare partition 6 to the results from fstab?" If so they are the same. Contents: Ext4 ver1.0 ----- Mounted at Filesystem Root

How do I place a label?

Question may seem dumb I am making sure we are on same page.

1 Like

It's not dumb. While in the details, there should be a label field that is blank.

While in there, decrease the after value to add storage to partition 6.

And yes, in the disks application this can all be done.

Zorin 16 Lite is OK and what I use, uses Partition 1, 4, and 6. Zorin 16 Gnome uses Partition 1, 3, 4, and 5.

I moved all of the Free Space except for 15 GB into Partition 6. This 15 GB free space is left of Partition 3 Size 40 GB and is the Partition that is Low Space and is used by Zorin 16 Gnome. 40 GB Swap Partition is on the right of Partition 3.

How can I either move the 15 GB of free space into Partition 3 or take 10 GB from 40 GB Swap Partition to Partition 3. Or do I need the Swap file?

I do not find a label field that is blank.

My boot menu has Zorin 16.1 how did that get updated?
I notice Zorin 16.2 is out and I downloaded it. Can these be installed without loosing and personal data?

You can add that 15GB to the partition on the right... but it is a risky endeavor. Let me explain.

When you add to the back (right side) of a partition, the data in that partition is not included in the process. When you add to the beginning of the partition (the left side) the data has to be "shifted" (copied to another location, then to the new location at the beginning of the new partition, once the partitioning is done). In a sense, this is a bit slower... the unallocated space is first added to the partition, formatted to be the same as the original partition FS, then data is moved, sequentially, and the file system table updated for the location of that file. Any time during this process errors can occur. I have successfully done this myself multiple times, but it requires patience and not interacting with your system during that time. Shut down any process that is running, that isn't absolutely necessary (if this is a system partition).

ALWAYS BACKUP PRIOR TO ANY PARTITION OPERATION.

I have a 40 GB swap file Partition 4. I do not Hibernate so can I do away with this partition and move the space to Partition 3 where the space is needed?

I need to make a Backup of the system. Where is the app or how do I make a Backup?

For DejaDup, just type backups in your app menu.
Or if using Timeshift or rescuezilla, follow the normal steps you take when using those (since you would have had to install and configure them).

I use neither... I just compress my home folder and save it on another disk.

If you disassemble swap, make sure you unmount it and clear the mount at boot, applying those changes before unallocating the space (deleting the partition) so you don't get errors that swap doesn't exist.

Once you've done that, highlight the partition (4), click the cog and choose delete. Apply that operation.

Now you can highlight partition 3, click the cog and resize. Lower the after number to increase the partition you are working with.

Remember that the values are in MB, not GB.... so you have to do 1000 for every GB you want to add. You can type in the after box 0 and that will apply all of the free space to partition 3 (instead of using the arrows).

Understand all except "clear the mount at boot" How do I do this?

If you remove a partition that is included in the file system table (fstab), you must clear it out of fstab in order to avoid it remounting that partition at boot or throwing errors if you have changed that partition or removed it.
You can access and remove the UUID line of the Swap Parttion in fstab with

sudo nano /etc/fstab

How do you compress your Home folder?

There are many ways...
Terminal:

sudo tar -cvpJf backuphome.tar.xz /home/$USER

Or, you can use your file manager by elevating, then navigating from root to /home. Then right click your UserName Folder and choose "Compress"

I personally only back up individual directories and files that I know to keep.
So, I do not compress all of /home/$USER. I just launch the file manager, and right click the individual directories and files that I wish to keep.

Be advised: Compression can take a while.

You can also clear the boot flag in gparted or disks, it is a check box next to an entry called boot that will automate the removal of the fstab entry so you don't delete other entries. Apply the change before modifying the partitions.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.