Safe to remove Python 3.8 on Zorin 17?

Hi! I noticed that Python3 has updated from 3.8 to 3.10 with the update from Zorin 16 to 17. However, Python 2.7 and Python 3.8 are still installed on my system. Is it safe to delete those to only have 3.10 on my laptop?

Is there maybe an easy way to find out which apps/packages rely on those older Python versions?

Why not just leave it there in case it is ever needed? The file is very small most likely and maybe it's just a library for common programs as needed. I always leave my base installation as-is without tinkering in the system. Consequently, I don't have problems later on.

3 Likes

I do not recommend removing Python.

2 Likes

Hmm, ok. It's just annoying that to use the right python version, I have to type "python3", and can't autocomplete it after "py" because of the many python commands.

Thank you both for your answers.

You can create an alias to the right binary. I doubt any utilities relying on Python use the environment path so it won't interfere with regular usage:

alias python=/usr/bin/python3.11
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.