Safely Removing Snap

I just want to start by asking anybody replying to forgive me. I know this question has been asked often but I do wish to clarify a few things as I'm not too familiar with Linux Desktop yet and the DO's and Don't DO stuff.

As Aravisian (didn't feel right to mention you) mentioned here, I do know how to remove snap. That isn't my concern.

While looking at the installed snap packages, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if I removed everything. Judging by packages names like core and gnomes, for someone like me who isn't that familiar with Zorin, I can't help but be a bit afraid of what might happen if I do remove them.

If that exact answer has been answered before as I haven't done a full forum search, feel free to just redirect me to that post and I'll happily read through the messages.

Snap and Flatpak both carry their dependencies with them. What you are seeing there are those dependencies. Since they cannot interact with the System Files, Snap and Flatpak bring along copies of those system files for use within their container.

If you are not using Snap or Flatpak packages, those Core and Gnome and gtk components included with Snap or Flatpak are 100% safe to remove since they are isolated and separate from your system core, gtk and Gnome.

And should you want to use a Snap or Flatpak package in future, it will bring them back along with them, so having removed them earlier will not inhibit your ability to add back later.

1 Like

OK! Thank you for the lightning fast reply despite me avoiding mentioning you :slight_smile:.

If I remember the post I read earlier, it's better to use Flatpak over Snap right?

Edit: I will take the like as a yes :heart:

1 Like

I do wonder why you are avoiding me here. (Checks his armpits).

Personally, I do not bother with either. But if I had to use a Containerized Package system, I would choose Flatpak over Snap hands down. Flatpak handles dependencies better. With Flatseal, it handles managing apps that need system access better. It has better support than Snap. It has better security than Snap.

But to be fair, this is a bit like me admitting I would rather have a Ford Pinto over a Reliant Robin.

Not exactly Dodge Vipers, those.

I come from servers that mentioning moderators/staff is prohibited. DIdn't want to potentially get warned for it. I won't shy away in the future if I ever need to mention you for something. Don't worry though, I won't do that every time I post something, I know you reply to nearly all messages here.

If you do not use Flatpak or Snap, what do you use?

For more info, can we say that removing the folders left after a software uninstallation that have the name of the uninstalled software is enough or some folders are loaded somewhere else? I'd suppose this should be the same for certain dependencies if not shared with other software.

I use the standard packages in APT using the apt command in terminal.
Snap and Flatpak have their pros and their cons. For me, the more I explored them, I found them both to be poor substitutes for APT.

APT has its problems, too. Such as dependency holes users can fall into and have trouble digging out of. I just do not find the containerized apps to really be a valid replacement. They have security issues inherent to their structure, in spite of containers bringing their own security.
Many of their biggest issues cannot be fixed because those issues directly stem from the necessary way those package managers must function.

On occasion, when a user has a specific use case where they need a higher version that has new features that apt does not offer - I usually suggest they try the Flatpak version.

Netiquette is a funny thing.

On the Zorin Forum, it is acceptable (and sometimes encouraged) to tag a user to get their attention. And we do it pretty often.
Some places feel the need to prohibit it due to the less often cases of tagging being abused (which we did have a member recently do some such abuses which is currently being discussed in the Moderator Forum, even...)
But it is not often someone abuses the tags or DM's and using Blanket Policies out of laziness does not appeal to me, at all.

It's a bit like over-zealous School Policies banning t-shirts that have print on them just because one student out of a thousand showed up at school one day with offensive print.

1 Like

Would you mind showing me an example on how I would go about using the APT command to install Firefox or 1Password.?

Noted. I will do if I consider it somewhat urgent. Otherwise, I'm usually not in a rush.

The developer of this application has not submitted its package to APT.

APT and apt are two different things... APT is Advanced Package Tool - Debians server side tool for distributing packages. The apt program we use in terminal calls upon APT (essentially, curl is a database query).
So, you have two methods: Download the .deb package self installer, or use curl to retrieve the information from the developers own repository:

This package is standard to how the vast majority of packages are on Linux APT:

sudo apt install firefox

Let's say you want (as an example) to install inkscape

sudo apt install inkscape

or Gimp

sudo apt install gimp

Or the three above all at once - separate each package with a space:

sudo apt install firefox gimp inkscape

1 Like

Just an FYI from someone with no vested interest. Flatpaks or Snaps work just fine in Zorin just like the traditional Debian or Ubuntu packages. I don’t recommend going into your system removing things. The Zorin developers have done a great job with their OS. Poking around the internals, you might break something and then wonder why things don’t work later. That’s like going into the engine bay of your car and removing things just because you think you won’t need that line or belt or wire/plug or fluid and then wonder later why your cars is not working right. It’s your car and you should be able to do anything you want to it, right? :roll_eyes: Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

1 Like

No, it really is not.

Removing the drive belt from the car is vastly different from removing the Radio in order to upgrade to a custom system.
Removing the spark plug wires is vastly different from Changing your tires.

On Linux, we really prefer to encourage users to accept the learning curve and the joy that comes with learning as well as the better user control over their own system.

Not to just blindly accept things without learning or putting in any effort. That mentality already has an OS to pander to it. It is called Windows.

1 Like

Whatever you say.

The core packages as well as other, non-app packages relate to sets of libraries and tools that programs commonly require, sometimes grouped into packages like "gnome" for GNOME dependencies.

Unless you use snaps which need these dependencies, you're fine. Note that the ZorinOS Desktop is not managed or installed by Snap.

Some might say that windows are a way to see beyond a boundary or closed mindset, a view of the vast and free world outside, but that's not what Windows really does, strange, isn't it?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.