Screen remains black after suspending even after pressing keys, mouse

I have lenovo ideapad slim 5 pro with AMD ryzen 7 and and raedon graphics, bought yesterday. I removed preinstalled windows and installed Zorin os 16 core. I am facing the following problems:-

1.) When I suspend my laptop or when it automatically gets suspended, the screen doesn't light up even after pressing keys, though the keyboard backlight turns on, but the screen doesn't.

2.) I installed gnome tweaks from software center, and it flickers when I launch it, then becomes stable in a while.

1 Like

Two suggestions:

1. Do you have hybrid graphics? (Integrated graphics + independent GPU)
    You can check using the output of sudo lshw -c video
    If you do have hybrid, I recommend turning it off in your BIOS - just use one of the GPUs
  2. Try switching drivers under Software Updater -> Settings-> Additional Drivers
1 Like

nvidia driver 470.86 in use ?

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your response.

1.) I guess I don't have hybrid graphics, I ran the said command, I got this:-

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
logical name: /dev/fb0
version: c1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix vga_controller bus_master cap_list fb
configuration: depth=32 driver=amdgpu latency=0 mode=2240x1400 visual=truecolor xres=2240 yres=1400
resources: iomemory:fc0-fbf iomemory:fc0-fbf irq:53 memory:fce0000000-fcefffffff memory:fcf0000000-fcf01fffff ioport:1000(size=256) memory:d0500000-d057ffff

2.) In section of additional drivers it says "No additional drivers available."

1 Like

How do i check that? I ran sudo lshw -c video, and got the following output:-
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
logical name: /dev/fb0
version: c1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix vga_controller bus_master cap_list fb
configuration: depth=32 driver=amdgpu latency=0 mode=2240x1400 visual=truecolor xres=2240 yres=1400
resources: iomemory:fc0-fbf iomemory:fc0-fbf irq:53 memory:fce0000000-fcefffffff memory:fcf0000000-fcf01fffff ioport:1000(size=256) memory:d0500000-d057ffff

Please help further.

Looks amd to me. Try this

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

sudo apt update && sudo apt -y upgrade

1 Like

I tried it, didn't work. The following is happening:-

After suspending if press key or touch mousepad, the locked screen comes up, I enter password, then the system unlocks, then it goes black again. Also the flickering of gnome tweaks is still there.

Should I revert to original drivers?

@midnight_koffee Also check in Software Updater that it is pointing to "Main Server" (not local server) as source?

it wasn't pointing to "main server", it was pointing to "Indian server", I changed to "main server", what do I do next?

it still says no additional drivers available.

You have Radeon graphics, not Nvidia. Yes?
I have neither of those, so it will be a case of wider websearch using something like "suspension black screen radeon ubuntu 20.04"

Someone else with more graphics troubleshooting knowledge may come along in the meantime.

EDIT: this is the first thing that came up:

@zabadabadoo Thanks a lot for your help. I tried way too many online suggestions but they didn't work, that's why came to forum. Guess I have to go on web again. I will let you know if I resolve. Again, thanks a lot buddy.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.