Screen Tear Issue

I reinstalled zorin and have a screen tear issue again.

I tried this method:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

But I ended up having all these toasters on my screen just like in this post. Screen Tearing Issue - #4 by Aravisian

I am now following the steps @Aravisian has mentioned but I don't get into root?

I have typed int sduo -i and it is asking me for a # but it didn't open root?

Any ideas.
inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Iris Plus Graphics G7 driver: N/A
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: fbdev
unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1200~77Hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6

sudo -i

Enter your password.

Then install thunar? Because I don't have it?

That post was addressed toward a user that has Zorin OS Lite.
On Core, you would run

nautilus

instead of thunar.
Once Nautilus is opened, in the left pane, click Other Locations, then in the right pane, double click computer
That will get you to the Root Directory Tree.
From there, can pick up with that other post:

Thanks. But when I right click I can only open a new folder and no document. Plus I don't understand what guide I have to follow from here...

Gnomes Nautilus foolishly ties in that functionality to the default Templates folder in the Home Directory. This also is the reason that I cannot keep any of my actual templates in the Templates Folder and have to make separate ones.

Ensure that you have a ~/Templates directory. If you do not, then make one:

mkdir ~/Templates

Then,

touch ~/Templates/Text\ File.txt

That references this post:

Upon opening the Guide in the link, you would continue from this line:

Then go to “/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d” and add one of the files below for your graphics card.

1 Like

I think I did everything like mentioned but I still have the tearing issue. Is there a way to check and make sure I followed the right procedure?

When I test with this video I still have tearing. Screen Tearing Test - YouTube

I just rebooted it and restored to an old version of timeshift and no more screen tearing.

1 Like

Awesome. When you cannot recall what steps you took; a back up can be a very welcome thing.

After further testing I dont have a screen tearing issue unless I change my display scale to fractional scaling. At 100% it's all pretty small and I like it just a big bigger like 125% but as soon as I do that I get screen tearing again.

Fractional Scaling is a work in progress.
It's one of the reasons I also prefer Zorin OS Lite so I can use DPI instead.

I would recommend that if Fractional Scaling gives issues - to keep it at 100%; because the issues you notice may be only some of the issues it is causing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.