Screen tearing on Z16

That would be an xorg issue, not a Zorin issue so if fixed, it is up to Xorg to do so.

Yeah apparently, its been an issue for more than a year now. But I tested it and it works just fine on Wayland. I heard a lot of negative things from Wayland and I remember it used to be blurry. But now I can't tell. In your opinion, should I avoid Wayland and stick to Xorg or should I give it a chance?

There are some things that work on Wayland, just as you say. The problem with Wayland is that there are many apps that Wayland breaks.

Well that's not nice :S

On that note, very interesting thread about Wayland and it's problems.

1 Like

Thanks for this link.
It really reads like a horror story. :scream:

1 Like

In principle, the concept behind Wayland looks great. And yes, it was (and to some, is) intended to replace the Xwindow system.
The problem with Wayland is one of existing Infrastructure, something that Wayland fans blithely ignore, or, in Truest of Gnome Style, like to claim is someone else's problem.
It is not every other x11 dependent app developers problem. It is Waylands problem.
Wayland did not plan ahead for any kind of viable transition from X, they merely approached it with Loud Fanfare to promote Wayland, then sat back with expectations that everyone would jump on board. And few did. Because while the principle of a slightly faster and less complex windowing system has appeal, it just isn't that noticeably faster than X to the end user and to the developers, is a horrifying nightmare of complete redevelopment of apps.

Partly because of this, Wayland lacks true Contributor Support which it desperately needs to progress. Like Duke Nukem Vaporware, Canonical will persist in promoting it with High Hopes, but no army to back up their bluster with.

X11 has its problems... But at least it works and it works well enough. And in some regards, I find it superior to Wayland, in spite of the fantastic appeal in Wayland compositor being the window server and talking directly with the kernel.

2 Likes

Is it a laptop or desktop?
Make/model? Amount of RAM?

Damn, what's up with canonical? It seems as if they are trying to be hated/portrayed as an evil corporation :smiley:

It's a Dell laptop. The model is G5 5590.

But I finally set Z16 up. It's all up and running. So far so good. I already like it. Particularly, I like the Zorin welcome tour jingle :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the info.
But it seems you managed to make it work. :blush:

11 posts were split to a new topic: Impact on Zorin OS or Linux from Canonical and Microsoft

Okay. I came to this thread because I'm having screen tearing all of a sudden. (Yesterday, I don't have.) Then all of a sudden, it also disappear after I open windows tweak and go to compositor and play with the level there just to the maximum. I actually don't know what exactly happened. What cause of the sudden screen tearing and how it was fixed after I open the windows tweak > compositor. But, at least, I want to share this.

1 Like

For those that will get screen tearing in Zorin 16 lite, this site helps a lot: Screen Tearing on Intel Graphics - Learn Ubuntu MATE

there is also for AMD just check Home tab.

(Screen Tearing is my first encounter in Zorin 16 lite. hahaha thanks to AntiX, know what to do)

2 Likes

if you have a Nvidia gpu, install the driver and follow checkt is link.

you need check the box at "force composition pipeline" and apply, next save to x configuration file.

I found the this thread similar to my problem, I have Intel 10th gen cpu and nvidia 1660 and facing similar issue of screen tearing ....

Marked solution. 37

Hi There, just wondering if you ever got a fix for this black square issue. I am getting this too after enabling vsync for my onboard intel gpu.