Screensaver in Zorin 16

I've seen several topics on screensaver but none on how to actually change the settings. I don't want the black screen. I need some kind of screensaver to keep one of my tv monitors awake. I could set it to never go black but I'm an old guy and kinda like different screensavers. Any suggestions?

1 Like

CTRL ALT T to enter terminal

Install Xscreensaver full suite...

sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-gl-extra xscreensaver-data-extra

Remove Gnome Screensaver...

sudo apt-get remove gnome-screensaver

To point the original lock command to Xscreensaver...

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver-command

To make sure that the Xscreensaver daemon is loaded upon each start of the system, please do the following...

(1) Click on Zorin :zorin: icon bottom of screen. Type Startup Applications Click on it, to open the menu up.

(2) Click the ADD button. Input this information into the fields and click SAVE.

(3) Now, its all initially setup and ready to go. Now all you have to do, is go back to the Zorin :zorin: and type Xscreensaver, and launch it. Choose your screensaver, and what options you want.

Hopefully, this step by step guide, was able to help you. If this is the solution your looking for, please mark my post as solved. Thank you.

9 Likes

Worked like a charm. Oddly it said gnome screensaver wasn't installed, but this is great. Thanks.

3 Likes

In some cases, the Gnome-Screensaver will be installed. Its always proper to run that command, so that incase it is, it gets removed, so that it doesn't interfere with Xscreensaver. Good deal! :+1:

2 Likes

Guess who's back and got our back!!!! The one and only....

2 Likes

Another set of excellent screensavers is rss-glx. It's possible to have them selectable from the xscreensaver dialog.

More information:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/rss-glx

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.